• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

spinning tops...

Website
www.dehoutdraaierij.nl
I doubted for a long time whether I should make a video about spinning tops... After all, it is a very simple thing... All the greater is my surprise that it has already been viewed almost 8000 times in the past few days! (that's a huge number for my channel)
What I am also very happy about is that the viewers see that the camera is being handled by a professional. Cool close ups, so you can always see how the tool is presented to the wood. Anyway, if you want to take a look, here it is:
View: https://youtu.be/BK0UwqWuJHQ

Well done, and timely. I'm planning on some tops/launchers for my Christmas toy donations. The egg is one I hadn't thought of.
Thanks for posting the video.
Barry W. Larson
Calgary, Alberta, Canada eh!

The tops with the low center of gravity are difficult to hand spin. Unless you launch it perfectly up and down/plumb, the outside edge will rub. I do use Delrin, which is a hard plastic that turns easily. Biggest advantage to it is that you can spin tops on the wood floors, well, most of them, and they won't drill holes in the floor. For a top with that diameter, I will put the stem between my palms, and push/pull with both hands. I can get 3 to maybe 5 minutes with a spin that way.

robo hippy

Ronald, I watched this a few days ago and laughed and nodded at your insightful opening comment: “If you are a woodturner, you probably have grandchildren.” So true. I’d love to know, if AAW keeps this kind of data, the demographics of the turning population over time. I speculate that as we baby boomers retire, the ranks of turners are likely expanding tremendously.
BTW, it’s a terrific video. Thanks, as always for your wonderful presentation, instruction, humor, and special thanks to the cinematographer!

I made a bunch of similar pull string tops, and used a smooth steel pin to have the top spin longer and not wear away on a rough surface, also made a few throw tops like we used as kids in The Netherlands.

These things are fun to make and then enjoy the kids playing with them, even old kids :D .

A couple of pictures that I had made of the different tops I made.

Fun spinning tops.jpg

Don't know why I had it hanging up, but it does show the type I made up close.
Pullstring top.jpg
This is a simpler design and it works OK, just wax the opening for a smooth rotation in the handle.
Simpler design.jpg

This was the type of throw top we used to play with when I was still a small kid.
Throw top.jpg

Last edited:
I make snap tops at demos we do the the MS AG Museum. Also fingertops, tippie tops and whistling tops which like the tippie for me is a hit or miss. Styles of design change over time and almost everyone has some different ideas but all of them are fum

IMG_1635.JPG
IMG_7371_1834045929.JPG

I made a bunch of similar pull string tops, and used a smooth steel pin to have the top spin longer and not wear away on a rough surface, also made a few throw tops like we used as kids in The Netherlands.

These things are fun to make and then enjoy the kids playing with them, even old kids :D .

A couple of pictures that I had made of the different tops I made.

View attachment 55208

Don't know why I had it hanging up, but it does show the type I made up close.
View attachment 55209
This is a simpler design and it works OK, just wax the opening for a smooth rotation in the handle.
View attachment 55210

This was the type of throw top we used to play with when I was still a small kid.
View attachment 55211
Remember them well Leo, chasing them in the school yard.

Website
www.ovwg.org
Excellent video Ronald! I really enjoyed the close up shots and the nice music.

PS: Sick with COVID so it was a nice time passer. Might be awhile until I turn anything though, so it is nice to watch others from the couch:D

Last edited:
Back