• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Spalted Wood: The Movie -- Mark Lindquist and Dr. Sara Robinson

The Industrial Arts Instructor she credits in the first video is in our club, Central IL Woodturners. David Bloom is a legend in the Bloomington/Normal IL Community. He influenced 100s of kids over his career, to continue to hone their skills into adulthood. He's a highly skilled turner that taught turning before there was an AAW. If I remember correctly, he was at the first symposium. A real unsung hero for our craft!

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
The Industrial Arts Instructor she credits in the first video is in our club, Central IL Woodturners. David Bloom is a legend in the Bloomington/Normal IL Community. He influenced 100s of kids over his career, to continue to hone their skills into adulthood. He's a highly skilled turner that taught turning before there was an AAW. If I remember correctly, he was at the first symposium. A real unsung hero for our craft!

Thanks for making the connection, Richard! It is amazing how much impact one dedicated teacher can achieve. I, too, got my introduction to turning at 12 years old by a wonder teacher, Mr. Potter, in the small town of Ketchikan, Alaska.

Did you know that Tom Albrecht (who posted right below you) is also a retired Industrial Arts teacher?

I'm attending a week long workshop with Seri at the Marc Adams School of Woodworking, she has shown a few clips of the video and talked about its making. Thanks to those who give credit to her high school teacher. Seri has mentioned him many times. I agree the videos are great, but don't overlook her monumental book on Spalting.
You might save a couple $$ by ordering from Amazon, but she gets very little compensation that way. In my opinion a better choice is to send her an email and order directly from her. See her website: northernspalting.com

Back