• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

sorby revolving center

I've heard and read a few comments since I've been turning about how nice the Sorby revolving center is. Other than a couple of manufactured differences, why is it better than the stock center that came on my pm?
Thanks

It may not be. I think the PM comes with a live center that is a copy of the Oneway. They are very nice.... especially when you consider they are included with the lathe.

My bad.....What I meant to compare was the oneway with the stock revolving center and whether it (oneway) was in some ways more beneficial.
Thanks

I bought a oneway live center before I upgraded to a PM. If I had bought the PM first, I would not buy the oneway center. The only real difference I've noticed is that the Oneway comes with the bull nose cone. I never use it so that doesn't matter to me. $100+ is a lot to pay just to get the bull nose cone.

Ed

I know that at one time Oneway parts fit the Jet/Powermatic livecenter. They were fully interchangeable. AFIK Oneway sued or got an injunction and there were some changes made to the Jet livecenter. I don't know how compatible the parts are now but the cone center may well fit your stock center. I love the cone center. It is a very nice addition to the tool stock.

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
How do you use the cone center?

I hardly use it. Then I saw someone use one with a washer to control the depth which seemed like a neat idea. I figure I am missing some opportunities..

Yep, it's looks nearly identical

After reading the post, I had my son pick up a oneway for me (since the closest one is 2hrs away). It took about ten seconds to see just what you guys said, it looks nearly identical. Unless there's some hidden tooling that makes it far superior the $120 (w/tax) can go for something else. I think it will have to go back and I'll be happy with the PM stock center. Anyone see it differently?
Thanks

Back