• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Signing

Website
www.bobchapman.co.uk
Hmmm...it's a burning issue! Do you know of a fireproof ink?

On a related note, the October issue of Woodworking Plans & Projects advertises "Free Plans. Make your own coffin with our easy-to-follow plans". I worry that they might know something I don't, and wonder if I'll have time to complete the project, never mind sign it.

Bob

PS I'm sorry for being flippant if you are being serious. I did once make a casket for my mother-in-law's ashes. (A wonderful woman, no jokes please). It was to be buried and I didn't sign it.

I would sign the bottom unless I was specifically requested not to. You might want to inlcude the words "made by" in your signature to avoid any confusion a couple hundred years down the road.

Ed

I have been doing funeral urns professionally for over 5 years now and haven't signed one yet unless requested by the purchaser.

I'm not Keith, but here in Illinois you don't have to. I made an urn for my mother, and it did not have a threaded lid. The crematory did glue the lid on to the urn before it was buried, though. Hope this helps.

Matt

I have not ran into that problem in California, however most of my urns are sold directly to their future occupants who want them as art objects.

Website
www.woodstoppers.com
I thought urns ended up on people's mantle or something... seriously. So, the body is cremated, the ashes go in the urn and then the urn is burned or buried? I thought the ashes were spread about wherever you wanted (or they would have wanted I guess) and whoever is given the urn (family member) puts it on the mantle. huh.

You would be surpised how many urns are buried. There is a segment that does have their ashes scattered and then the urn is given to a family member, but most of my clients have plans for their remains to be buried with the urn in either a family plot or a remote location. People that wish to have their remains taken overseas for burial find it much easier to do cremation.

Another final location is a structure called a "columbarium." A little like a mausoleum for caskets, but smaller chambers, i.e. enough room in each chamber for only one or two urns. This word doesn't even show up in crossword puzzles. The only way I heard it was as a request for construction studies from Arlington National Cemetery, many, many years ago.

Joe

urns on the mantel

The woman that cleans my house, and a wood lover, had a great dane she was going to have to euthanitize in a few months and asked if I could make her an urn. I don't do hollow forms and this was several years ago before I was as educated thru this forum, more books, and more videos. I chose a white wood, and made 2 (it may have even been cottonwood) to hold what I thought may be the quantity of ashes, and 2 from my sassafras, which has beautiful bark (which I left on a 4th of the outside.) and color. She chose the white and I had the others left. My mother soon passed away. My Florida sister and I got some of her ashes and I hot glued the tops shut. She sits on my/ and my sister's mantel. My other sister In Mass. thought it was "gross". Not that I am weird or anything-the wood is beautiful and my mother was a wood lover. I get to say "hi" to her alot. Gretch

Here is how I'd like to be 'handled' in the end, I doubt my wife will fulfill this wish but its a good humor item at our house.

I want to make an urn for myself. When I go, and I suspect long before her, she should have my ashes placed in the urn I made. Now for the humor. If I go of natural causes and on good terms at home my urn should be placed in her coffin when she goes. She can hold it lovingly under her arm forever. On the other hand if I depart due to one of my 'less wise activities' and she can have me placed at the foot of her coffin with her shoe on my urn for all eternity.

Frank

Website
www.woodstoppers.com
So, I hope everyone is familiar with "The Big Lebowski", and also "Meet The Parents". Good urn scenes in these flicks and 2 of my favorites anyway! Dang, I cannot believe people bury urns! Caskets are another one.... what ever happened to a pine box?! As it happens, I have been to a few funerals lately. It has been a while since I had seen a casket... since before i started turning and got so into different woods. Caskets are freakin incredible pieces of work! Urns are no diff really, just smaller... and well, I doubt it is legal to put a casket on the mantle and it might get a little....... ummm.... ripe?!

Back