• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Show pics of dust hose on Powermatic lathes

Yes Larry. It works very well for me. It lets me slide the collector to whatever position I need, and as close or back from the work as required. When I’m not using it, it’s easy to just push it back out of the way.

I was close to posting this same query re the best dust collection setup for my new PM. Thanks all!

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I replaced the large hood I got from woodcraft (hood plus stand) with a coupler and length of 3" PVC. The longer pipe lets the stand sit behind the lathe far enough that it's out of the way.

I like it better than a hood (that hood is big and was always in my way). YMMV.

I have a pipe clamp on the vertical adjustment place on the stand so it'll swivel and I can get it out of the way when I'm not sanding (can barely see that at the bottom of the photo).

IMG_5504.jpeg

For this photo (from the back side of the lathe) I had the thing swiveled around behind the headstock - no idea why I chose that for taking a picture <shrug>

Dave, a quick thread hijack for you and others who have the PM swingaway attachment. Does it prevent installation of the bed extension? Long-term, I'm considering both if both are an option. Now back to this very useful thread!

These are both of my most recent iterations. The first was taken from another on this forum allowing repositioning but it required a place to mount it. The second is mounted to a shelf in front of the lathe via a retail display arm.

lathedustsupport.JPG

Sanding discs.JPG

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Dave, a quick thread hijack for you and others who have the PM swingaway attachment. Does it prevent installation of the bed extension? Long-term, I'm considering both if both are an option. Now back to this very useful thread!
I got the extension with my lathe, but never had the opportunity to use it. The swing away certainly prevents the bed extension being used in "extension" mode, as they attach to the same spots (don't know about putting the extension on the headstock end - I've got something else there and can't see the bolt pattern easily). In the lower (larger swing) position, the extension would technically mount without interference, but the swing away would definitely get in the way of whatever large thing you'd be turning. Shouldn't be an issue to just store the extension and swap it out when needed - just 3 bolts.

OK everyone can get back to the real thread now.

Gerald, I love the innovations. They give a lot more sense of accomplishment than just using a credit card. But there is a strong market for those of us who don't have the creativity you have. You inspire me to try. Thanks.

Looking at Rockler's website there is a Dust Right Canister (filter) and a Dust Right Collector (vacuum). Are you using both? Is the Dust Right Collector good on it's own?
I'm using neither ... the Dust Right components I have are the hose fittings, blast gates, etc. My dust collector is an Oneida Supercell.

After doing a ton of reading and research, I've decided to buy a solution and get the Black Hole system from Craft Supplies. That said, I am always amazed at the creative ingenuity of my fellow turners here.

Website
www.ovwg.org
I bought the Black Hole System, but it required me to drill holes into my new Robust!! :D I couldn't seem to figure out any other way to do it. So it was dismissed in favor of my current system.

Tom, I like your use of the bracket, I want to make my dust collection more effective (currently just a jerry-rigged 5in hose) and that give me an option I hadn't considered before. I too don't want to drill holes, although I guess you could make some clamp on standoffs.

Tom, did you drill the holes in the metal pipe? If not, where did you buy it?

Where can 1 buy the type of drilled pipe that you used in your dust collection system?
The pipe is 1/2" EMT conduit. I drilled the holes on my drill press. The hood cradle is attached to the conduit with J-bolts and the wing nuts.

Last edited:
Not the Powermatic Lathe you were hoping for but the dust collection intake is mounted to an old computer screen mount welded in a horizontal position to an old Harbor Freight pedestal fan stand. Stable and adjustable.
DBA2F28C-36AA-4FFF-BDAD-7CE0943173C5.jpegF6CB9963-0ABD-4FA2-B91C-5AA6C17B6687.jpeg

Tom, excellent use of the duplicator attachment.

I see you have a shelf over the VFD. Some folks have expressed concerns that the air circulation needs to be maintained to keep the VFD from overheating and shortening it's life. Different VFDs manage cooling through different methods, but you might want to take a look at your setup to ensure good air flow.

Back