• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Shellac loading sand paper fast

I am using sanding sealer that is just a thinned shellac.
When I start sanding shellac loads up my sanding disk very quickly.

If I am not mistaken people are using Abranet discs to avoid this problem?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Wet sanding with water is not a good idea. It'll get through the gaps and louse things up by blushing under the shellac unless you have long drying intervals. Mineral spirits is a better choice. Better yet, don't sand a powered piece. All you're trying to do with a sealer is even out the absorption on a stain or finish to be applied later, so "sanding" is just a de-fuzz stage.

Standard sanding sealers are stearated - that's the sanding part - so they don't clog the paper so badly. If you've got enough resin that it's clogging your paper you don't have a sealer, but a finish cut. Use a 1# cut and you shouldn't have much clogging at all. If you hate to throw the paper away, you can blot it with an alcohol rag. Using open coat stearated paper wouldn't hurt.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Alex:

I routinely use a wash coat of ultra blonde shellac (from a small batch made fresh every few weeks or until it's used up) as a sanding sealer. I use a '1 pound cut' (which translates to about 1 ounce powdered flakes dissolved in 8 fluid ounces of denatured alcohol) which I use to wet the entire piece and allow to dry. I do add a bit more to end grain, since it soaks in quickly. I do not add so much to the surface as to get the drying surface looking shiny.

I allow the piece to dry completely for at least a day or two in a warm room (however, in practice, it usually winds up being a few days, since I often do 'batch' finishing) before I return to the final sanding phase of the process. If there are shiny spots on the surface, I remove this excess shellac with #1 steel wool before going on to the abrasives; this removes the bulk of the excess which would otherwise rapidly clog sanding disks. Sanding should be done on a fully dried surface, and as Russ said, must be done slowly and without heat build-up. I have done dozens of pieces using this technique, and it works quite well. The shellac forms an excellent base for sprayed lacquer which is my preferred finish for most of my pieces.

Good luck!

Rob Wallace

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
You mean just to wet wood before sanding?

Wet in this case would be sanding after shellac is put on and using something as a lubricant with the sandpaper to help eliminate the fouling, or balling up of the finish as you sand.

Typical lubricants would be wax, water, mineral spirits, etc. Each has their pluses and minuses. And generally you have to pick one that is compatible with you sanding material, the finish and the processes.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Here is a trick that some woodworkers who do flat work use to deal with the problem of raised grain: slightly wet the surface with a rag dampened with either water or alcohol before applying a finish. Allow the wood to thoroughly dry before applying a finish. Normally, there is no need to use a sanding sealer. However, synthetic steel wood that is slightly dampened in water and then applied with very light pressure is normally sufficient for knocking off the nibs that are sticking up if you have used a sanding sealer.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I occasionally have the same problem although it's usually when I use thinned lacquer to harden punky areas of wood. To clean the sanding disc I use a wire file card followed by the crepe rubber or if I'm lucky just the crepe rubber. The file card will get rid of all the gunk but does seem to dull the sandpaper a little after several uses. Still it keeps you from having to toss the sandpaper after a few seconds of use.

Back