• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Seattle Visit

My son Chris, also a wood turner, and I will be visiting Seattle this Tuesday PM and Wednesday. In addition to taking Gray Line Tours, we would like to visit aviation surplus stores. I have in mind picking up small long aviation type metal drills with a small lumen that oil was pumped through for cooling. Such drills are described in Bill Bowers book on "THE BASICS OF TURNING SPINDLES" recently published by Shiffer Publishers. Could any of you Seattle folks give me some suggestions where to find such items. Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark Ost
Pineville, Missouri

I have never been there - but I have heard that Boeing Aircraft has a store of used tools - aircraft tools. I bet if you Googled it - you might find it. I saw something about it a couple of years ago - either in a newspaper article or on the internet, but the mind get older and I forget things if I do not use them. If/when you find out - let the rest of us know please.
Hugh

Boeing Surplus Sales, Kent WA. From I-405 near Renton, take East Valley Freeway (or something like that) south toward Auburn. Closed Sunday and Monday IIRC (I moved from SEA in 1987). At least two acres under roof, and heaven on earth for a garage-sale junkie.

Good hunting and gathering.

Joe

Seattle

Thanks for the information. I did Google Boeing, and got alot of the same info that Joe just wrote. They will be open this next Wednesday at 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Sounds like a great place to visit. Thanks for the speedy information. This forum is a great place for information.

Mark Ost
Pineville, MO

Back