• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Saw Blade Type

Hey,

I just have some quick questions about what type of sawblade to use when making angled cuts for segmented work. I use a miter saw for most of my cuts and have been trying to get a clean 'nick free' result.

I currently have a 24 tooth blade, which I understand is useless for what I need. In light of this, I was just given an expensive 10" 40 tooth carbide tipped miter blade, but I'm not sure if I still need more teeth. Do you think I should go into the 60-90 range?

Besides that, does anyone have other tips for getting a clean cut that will make for tighter joints?

Thanks,
Jess

Forest makes a blade for the miter saw that works great for me. The ends are so smooth you think they were sanded. The blades are expensive but I wont buy any other blade from another compnay after using them. I bought one for my compound miter saw and my Shopsmith. $218 but I don't think you can buy a better blade.

I attended a Shopsmith class and the instructor asked the other class members if any of them used Forest blades. Everyone who used them swore by them and had not needed to sharpen them after over a year of use. I can now see why. I bought mine at a woodworking show at a discount from a vendor. I was sold when he cut a paper thin piece of wood from the end grain of oak and maple that were so smooth :eek: ....incredible I thought. So I bought them.

I use Forest blades on my 12" Dewalt compound miter and 10" table saw. Have used Dewalt, CMT, Freud and Delta blades. The Forst blades are so superior it isn't even close.
Jim

Try a "zero clearance" backer board

In addition to the proper blade. I suggest installing a board across the back (with screws) and bottom (with double stick tape) of your saw so that you can create a "zero clearance insert" like for your table saw. Not only does it stop chip out, it stops the errant cut-off from being deflected by the blade.

John

John Trant said:
In addition to the proper blade. I suggest installing a board across the back (with screws) and bottom (with double stick tape) of your saw so that you can create a "zero clearance insert" like for your table saw. Not only does it stop chip out, it stops the errant cut-off from being deflected by the blade.

John

I never thought of dong this. A very good idea. I am building a cradle for my neice who's having a baby in Oct or Nov. I will be using the miter saw allot in the next few days. This addition with the Forest blades will make the work turn out great. Thanks for the idea.

Back