• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sapele & Hickory jewelry lidded bowl

Website
www.woodtreasuresbybreck.com
10" x 4" Sapele & Hickory jewelry lidded bowl
I wanted to try a little something different for a change and decided to try a contrasting wood lidded bowl with thick maroon felt covering the inside to protect the contents. I made a simple but functional finial out of sapele.
comments & critiques always welcome on anything I post.

Attachments

• 10 inch Sapele & Hickory Lidded Jewelry bowl.jpg
    10 inch Sapele & Hickory Lidded Jewelry bowl.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 10 inch Sapele & Hickory Lidded Jewelry bowl (2).jpg
    10 inch Sapele & Hickory Lidded Jewelry bowl (2).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 10 inch Sapele & Hickory Lidded Jewelry bowl (3).jpg
    10 inch Sapele & Hickory Lidded Jewelry bowl (3).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
You know, Breck.......I think you are doing some very nice work.

It's not polite, or good etiquette to offer critique of someone else's work.....unless it's specifically asked for. I think I can help you a bit with this one, although I otherwise wouldn't say a thing. ;)

The felt interior looks great. It may, or may not have added to the visual, but as long as you're using felt already, a little felt on the underside of the lid may have enhanced the overall effect. It isn't a detractor that you didn't use felt on the lid, though. If you did use some felt on the lid, I have no doubt that the creative instinct I've seen in your other works, would make that work well, blend well, and be an overall positive influence on the total.

What is that dark ring on the lid? Is this some woodburning?

What does jump out at me is the many stark contrasts between the finial, hickory lid, woodburning and Sapele base. There's too much busy-ness going on here......makes me think of a "bullseye" target. More subtle differences between light and dark would have worked for you much better, is my opinion.

These days, very fancy and long delicate finials seem to be the rage, but I've always been appreciative of simple, functional, and well done knobs, or finials. This doesn't mean there isn't a good time to get really crazy with finials, either. (I'm a great fan of Cindy Drozda, and her exceptional works! She is the "spark plug" for the many turners who have adopted her style of finials.) A simple knob can be very appealing to the senses, and yours works for this one!

The way you chose to fit lid to base will probably stand the test of time. There looks to be some amount of give-and-take to the fit. The problem with many of the now popular "suction fit" of lid to base on boxes is great, and gives a sense of skilled craftsmanship, but many will not stand the test of time. Some will, but it's a pure gamble, since it's a complete unknown what environment these turnings will eventually inhabit.......

If you enjoyed doing this one, I'd say you should explore the many horizons you've opened up for yourself......:D

ooc

Last edited:
Website
www.woodtreasuresbybreck.com
You know, Breck.......I think you are doing some very nice work.

It's not polite, or good etiquette to offer critique of someone else's work.....unless it's specifically asked for. I think I can help you a bit with this one, although I otherwise wouldn't say a thing. ;)

The felt interior looks great. It may, or may not have added to the visual, but as long as you're using felt already, a little felt on the underside of the lid may have enhanced the overall effect. It isn't a detractor that you didn't use felt on the lid, though. If you did use some felt on the lid, I have no doubt that the creative instinct I've seen in your other works, would make that work well, blend well, and be an overall positive influence on the total.

What is that dark ring on the lid? Is this some woodburning?

What does jump out at me is the many stark contrasts between the finial, hickory lid, woodburning and Sapele base. There's too much busy-ness going on here......makes me think of a "bullseye" target. More subtle differences between light and dark would have worked for you much better, is my opinion.

These days, very fancy and long delicate finials seem to be the rage, but I've always been appreciative of simple, functional, and well done knobs, or finials. This doesn't mean there isn't a good time to get really crazy with finials, either. (I'm a great fan of Cindy Drozda, and her exceptional works! She is the "spark plug" for the many turners who have adopted her style of finials.) A simple knob can be very appealing to the senses, and yours works for this one!

The way you chose to fit lid to base will probably stand the test of time. There looks to be some amount of give-and-take to the fit. The problem with many of the now popular "suction fit" of lid to base on boxes is great, and gives a sense of skilled craftsmanship, but many will not stand the test of time. Some will, but it's a pure gamble, since it's a complete unknown what environment these turnings will eventually inhabit.......

If you enjoyed doing this one, I'd say you should explore the many horizons you've opened up for yourself......:D

ooc
Thanks Odie I appreciate your input, the only way we can get better is by evaluating our work. This piece was made to sell and it was fun to make, and has already sold. I wanted to get it in a gallery for the Christmas season and since it sold almost immeadiately I will make a few more, but on the next ones I think I will give a greater effort to achieve a more artistic appearance rather than just a pretty piece. I do agree about the conflict between light and dark I noticed that also and was not satisfied with the piece, but then I am never satisfied with my work I always see something that could be improved.

Back