• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sand paper life

Hey all-

I power-sand my bowls with 2" &/or 3" 'new wave' sanding discs, and was wondering on average how long these (or other commercially available sanding discs) effectively last before needing replacement. I think I tend to milk the life of my sand paper since they aren't the cheapest, and I find dull paper leads to frustration and a poor finish. It seems like sometimes I can only sand one or two bowls before the paper seems 'spent' and is no longer sharp. Anyone else have the same experience?

Cheers!

Nick

Two per grit per bowl, one inside and one outside.
I cut my own from rolls.
Big bowls take more, little take less.

With the red Aluminum Oxide discs, I would get one 14 inch bowl, depending on the wood, some times it would be shot before I got to the end. With the aluminum stearate (white stuff), I would get 2 discs per grit per bowl (one inside, one outside). The yellow hyper gold discs were on par with the red discs. I tried some of the Mirka discs, and got the same results. With the blue discs from Vince, I can usually complete a 12 inch 4 bowl cored set with one set of discs. They seem to still cut very well when getting dull/worn. I haven't tried the Abranet, or micro mesh, or the ceramic discs from 3M. I do turn wet wood to final thickness, and then do the LDD (liquid dishwashing detergent) soak, then dry. I do keep one of the eraser sticks handy also.
robo hippy

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
I started using Abranet and have been getting several 12 inch bowls out of each grit. They are nice in that you can blow the discs out from the back to clear them. They also remain sharp a long while. Very pleased with them so far compared with the variations of wave disks.

Dave

Try the Power Lock types with firm backing. They last very well, because you don't press them, and they have good resin backing to hold onto their grit. The grit fractures in use, producing fresh cutting surfaces as long as it sticks to its backing, but the key to paper life is not pressing and abrading the grit that sticks to the substrate away with what didn't.

I get a couple bowls of the salad size with 150, but 240 is problematic on the same two. My 320 is usually a case of one disk one bowl.

Nick

I don't know who said it first but this quote is very true

"Use sandpaper like someone else was paying for it"

One set of discs per bowl gives me best results.

Frank

Industrial Abrasives sells sheets of Rhynogrip for approx 12-15 per 3x3'. You can get well over 100 3" squares from each sheet, which knocks the price down to about 15cents each. Not to bad. If you buy in bulk for the club, you get a discount that makes it even better.

dk

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
As someone mentioned, I keep the rubber eraser (cleaning stick) by the lathe. I cut a piece about 3/8" thick and glued it to a board that's screwed to the wall right next to my lathe. I just run the sanding disc (in the drill) over the rubber and it helps the sanding disc cut cleaner and smoother. I don't do it to stretch the life of the disc (well, maybe a little) but more to have it cut at its finest for one whole bowl. A little trick learned from Russ Fairfield.

I cut a piece about 3/8" thick and glued it to a board that's screwed to the wall right next to my lathe.

Ruth,
I too keep a piece glued next my lathe. After changing some shelves this weekend I removed my old one. Needing to cut another I realized how difficult it is to cut. Last time my bandsaw was used....my rubber wheels didn't like the heated material, it's still stuck to it. Would you like to share your cutting method? (I gave up pretty easily on the old fashioned method, other things to do at the time).
Thanks

Website
www.abhats.com
I've tried just about every brand and type of sandpaper, but still keep coming back to Norton 3X for hand sanding and the yellow wavy disks for power. The two seem to give me the best return on investment all the time. I've been through several different brands of h&l sanding pads and haven't found any single one that stands out. I also don't over use either pads or paper. I may clean one off, but once it's lost it's cutting ability you can't get that completely back.

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
. Last time my bandsaw was used....my rubber wheels didn't like the heated material, it's still stuck to it. Would you like to share your cutting method?
Thanks

Mike, I just used my bandsaw. I didn't notice any heat, I do spray the blade with PAM or WD40 about once a day, maybe that made the difference. Also I'm using my favorite, lonest-lasting blade, the one with the little tick in it from a bend I straightened out. Perhaps that tick helped? :)

Mike, I just used my bandsaw. I didn't notice any heat, I do spray the blade with PAM or WD40 about once a day, maybe that made the difference. Also I'm using my favorite, lonest-lasting blade, the one with the little tick in it from a bend I straightened out. Perhaps that tick helped? :)

A light water spray is a good lubricant for cutting any type of rubber on the bandsaw. Also doesn't stain whatever you cut next. I've even used it on roadside orphan tire treads; after removing any wires, of course.

Joe

Thanks, I'll give it a shot of lube and see what happens. I'm not sure of the blade condition at the time. There's a new one on now.
Thanks again.

Joe, what in the world do you do with found tire treads?

Too young to remember the sandals?

Steel belts sort of ended that fad, I thought. Kick yourself in the heel and abrade a half inch of flesh.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Hey all-

I power-sand my bowls with 2" &/or 3" 'new wave' sanding discs, and was wondering on average how long these (or other commercially available sanding discs) effectively last before needing replacement. I think I tend to milk the life of my sand paper since they aren't the cheapest, and I find dull paper leads to frustration and a poor finish. It seems like sometimes I can only sand one or two bowls before the paper seems 'spent' and is no longer sharp. Anyone else have the same experience?

Cheers!

Nick

Yep, turner23.......I think you've got a handle on it. A couple of bowls +/- is about right for one disc of one grit. Some woods, shapes, and diameters seem to have an effect on the outcome, too.......I'd say, if all the circumstances allow it, about three bowls is the max.

I'm one that usually doesn't use power sanding discs above 150 or 220 grits. For the finer sanding, I just used strips of sandpaper applied by hand to the spinning bowl. I feel as though I'm getting a better overall sanded finish that way.......from reading the posts here, I feel like I'm in a minority on that issue. Is there agreement, or disagreement about that?

otis of cologne

Back