• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

San Jose?

From past experience, I know that if members attending the Annual Symposium want to stay within walking distance of the festivities, it's best to book their hotel room early; especially if they want the discount rate on allocated AAW rooms. I just booked at the Marriott which is the host hotel this year.

See y'all in California!!

Website
www.jjstephen.com
Looks like both the Marriott and the Hilton are physically connected to the convention center and the Hyatt is across the street from the Hilton. Not sure which hotel is actually closest to the section of the convention center that AAW will be using. However, I thought I remember that the Hilton was listed as the host hotel on the paperwork I saw in St. Paul so that's where I booked.

San Jose hotels

I believe that the Marriott is supposedly the "host hotel". I booked there last month and couldn't use any of my large number of Marriott points and could only buy a room at the AAW rate. Maybe that is what makes a hotel the "host", perhaps AAW guarantees a number of rooms which removes them from the inventory of available rooms that can be reserved with points instead of cash. I don't know if that scenario is true or not, but so I've been told.

Since they all seem to be close, I don't suppose it makes any difference, but I agree with the comment about reserving early...I had to stay several miles away for the Hartford Symposium.

Bob Parson

Back