• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Rose Engine Plans are ready !

The highly anticipated package of data on how to build your own Rose Engine Lathe is finished and available by clicking here: Supplemental data to Spring 2007 AW article, pages 52-53 You’ll find links to three pdf files and three versions of a short video about half way down the page.

This compilation of data and in-depth knowledge is a real testament to the dedication of Jon Magill, the author. Thank you Jon, for all the work that has gone into this...very well done!

Last edited:
This has really piqued my interest especially after watching the video and Walt's with the VOD. To the point I went and ordered all the Holtzapffel books(the 5 reprints) so I can learn more about it. Thanks Joe for all time you put into the material to be able to present it to us. Here! Here!

Brian

Jon

Website
www.rogueturner.com
Further reading...

Brian -- Good luck with the Holtzapffel books. That Victorian English can be fun to read. There is not much in there about rose engines, but they do cover all of the fundamental aspects of ornamental turning.

Another book, although not specific to rose engines either, but much easier to read than the Holtz books, is Ornamental Turning, by TD Walshaw. It is not currently in print (but has been re-printed in not too distant past) so it may take a little effort to find a copy.

Happy reading and I hope you actually build a lathe,

--Jon

I happen to have a Hardinge cross-slide apparently the same (or at least very, very similar) to the one depicted in the magazine article.

I have no plans to make a Rose-Engine lathe, but if someone in the L.A., Orange County California area would like to try making one, they can borrow my cross-slide. The only condition is if you don’t actually make one, you’ve got to give it back so I can give it to someone who will.

BH

dvd

i noticed there will be a demo of the rose engine at symposium, i wonder is there now or will there be in the future a dvd on using the rose engine :D

Jon

Website
www.rogueturner.com
Seems like a lot of people want a video of some sort -- set-up, detailed techniques, etc.

I have had a lot of questions about that. Maybe after a few more demos, and gathering some ideas of what the most common questions are, perhaps we can make some more videos. (After Portland though!)

--Jon

Back