• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ron Pollmann

Thanks for letting me join the AAW forum. Woodworking has been a hobby of mine since shop classes in the 7th and 8th grades. Till now, I have been making flat work pieces…mainly furniture and useful items for around the house. Turning has always interested me and when I retired last year, found and bought a used Delta midi lathe and a bunch of tools/blanks at a local estate sale. Met an amazing mentor from the Detroit Area Woodworkers club at the estate sale and he encouraged me to join the club. They are a great bunch of people, very helpful, supportive, and so creative. I’ve learned a lot at their meetings (virtual since March 2020), demos, and exhibitions. They’ve encouraged me and to date have made bowls, tops, eggs, bottle stoppers, pens, a magic wand, ornaments, off-center turnings… Turning is addictive and I'm already thinking about upgrading to a better, larger lathe. Hoping to learn much more from the AAW!

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Welcome to the forum Ron! And season’s greetings.

lots of great mentors here also. You’re going to find it’s a friendly and enlightening place.

Mark

Welcome. AAW chapters have mentors for the new guys. I've been a member and still consider myself a newbie. Let's see...you have made all kinds of things and considering another lathe. Yes, it is addictive. Make friends with tree services. Turn pens, bowls, etc. as a thank you gift.

Back