• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Robust Tru-Arc tool...

I believe my first Dental Crown over 20 years ago was made on a four axis machine. The Dentist invited me to watch it being made
The metal arts and jewelry program at my university had a small 5 axis machine for jewelry making, actually more for wax models for investment casting. It was capable of light metal cutting. I got to know the teaching assistant who had gotten the machine on semi-permanent loan provided it was being used. He invited me to play with the machine. Then the TA went off to get his PHD. The older tradition based faculty were afraid of CNC so the manufacturer took it back. That was unfortunate, worse yet the university shut down the whole arts program for budget reasons.

I know of two companies in Seattle now that use CNC's to produce custom jewelry. Just like what CNC is doing for custom woodturning.

Back