• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Respiratory protection

I’m shopping for a positive pressure head shield system. I’ve read comments and have seen that the cost runs from a couple hundred to several thousand dollars.
I’ve looked for a comparison of the various sets used by Woodturners but no luck.
I’d like to hear your comments and opinions on the best units, including cost comparisons.
Thanks in advance.

I have the Versaflo system. It is expensive but you can piece a system together for about half price by buying components on ebay. There is plenty of info on this forum if you search for Versaflo. I had to spend a few months saving up the funds for the system but it was worth it. My thinking was that in the long run, my health was worth more than the cost of the equipment. Treatment for sinus and lung issues can be expensive too. I find the system comfortable and easy to use. Best lesson learned is that the disposable face shield tear-offs are definitely worth getting.

Another happy VersaFlo user here. That system can be put together for about $700-$750. Here's a link to the thread started by @Emiliano Achaval a few years back, i used it as a guide to putting mine together a few years back. Lot of good info in this thread: https://www.aawforum.org/community/threads/versaflo-m-407.13686/

More recently, i just sold a M-407 helmet on this forum, and kind of recapped how to build a VersaFlo system for half of retail. Text of that "wanted to sell" ad is pasted below. The M-307 helmet and its premium face shield is much beefier than the Bionic face shield i've used for several years and i'm now using it as my daily turning helmet instead of only when i'm using the air pack. Good luck!!

From my for sale ad:
Long F/S post--to provide full background...

The packaged VersaFlo system from 3M that includes hardhat & blower system (3M model TR-300-HIK) sells for $1,600 to $1,800 (or more). Thanks to past posts on this forum, i learned that the system built for healthcare with a fabric hood instead of helmet (model TR-300-ECK), and there is a surplus of those systems unused post-Covid. That system can be bought on the major auction house for around $450, unused. The addition of a safety helmet (model M-307 or M-407) adds a high-end hard hat and premium high-impact visor. Those are similar, but the M-407 has a fire-resistant cowling and belaclava (designed for the welding market), while the M-307 has a vinyl face-seal. When i put mine together, i couldn't find any M-307's for less than the $450 or so retail, so i ended up scoring a M-407 with damaged box for about $300. Have used it only a few times, mostly because i keep the batteries in the house, and the rest of the system is in the garage shop. Very comfortable, though on 85 degree days the cowling holds a little heat!! (the air flow helps mitigate that a lot)

I'm committed to using my system more, and came to the conclusion that if i picked up an M-307 helmet (with no cowling) and used it in place of my Bionic face shield ALL the time--i'd be safer from any detonating blanks and it's easy to throw on the belt and hose for sanding. So...i bought a M-307 hard-hat last week, and am posting the M-407 for sale here. Would be good to use with TR-300-ECK which can still be bought for about $450 shipped on the auction. With the fire resistant cowling, might be ideal for somebody that does metal-work as well--welding gases are probably as bad as sanding dust.

Happy Versaflow/ breath easy user.
In late '22 I patiently cobbled together a system quite similar @Emiliano Achaval , who's post which @Earl McLain has referenced above was very helpful to me! Thanks Emiliano!
My layout was pieced together via eBay bids, and consists of a 3m M-307 helmet at $340, & a 3M Breath easy with 2 batteries, charger and hose @$100. I upgraded to a better hose to fit the helmet quick release for $20. So for under $460 I have premium head, eye and lung protection, which is actually quite comfortable to wear in my basement shop.
Like with all things turning, your costs don't stop there.
You'll also want to keep Peel off replaceable visor covers on hand to keep your shield clear and pristine (M-928 - 10 pact for about $18).
The breath easy fan unit uses 3- 40 mm NATO interface filter cartridges - I like and use the Supergum HEPA filters when I sand which are under $20 on Amazon, and when I have VOC's to filter, those cartridges go for $35 to $45 at Bezos' corner store. I've also bought an interface via Amazon to convert NATO 40 mm to 3M filter connectors, so I can use the cheaper 3M filters when I need/want which I can get at Lowes or Ace.
Having gone with the Versaflo helmet interface, IF you think you don't need the protection afforded by a helmet/shield (spaying lacquer, sanding very stable wood, etc, 3M has very inexpensive shrouds and with head suspensions for like $40, whcih are lighter in weight than the helmet. No protection other than the positive pressure airflow. Haven't done this yet, but ...

2 issues - Batteries are NICAD and while rebuildable, are a pain. I'm hoping to get some spare time to design power supply interface board to convert a Rigid or Dewalt LiIon tool battery (and charger) and interface it to the breath easy unit and toss the Nicads.
Issue 2 is that it appears that 3M or GVI has stopped making the Breath Easy, so the ones I see on line this evening are horibly expensive.

Slightly off topic, but hopefully close enough: Why spend hundreds on one of these systems when an N95 masks seem to filter out particulate pretty effectively and fits under a traditional face shield?

I’ve considered buying a Versaflow for about a year, but I always come back to this question. What am I missing?

Slightly off topic, but hopefully close enough: Why spend hundreds on one of these systems when an N95 masks seem to filter out particulate pretty effectively and fits under a traditional face shield?

I’ve considered buying a Versaflow for about a year, but I always come back to this question. What am I missing?
Significant difference in the filtration would be the biggest. Comfort (cool air flowing past my face on an 80+ degree day with 70% RH) is a definite bonus!!

Working conditions. a PAPR will save your skin when you're working in the heat, not to mention be easier to breathe through during a long day at the lathe.

@Jaramiah Severns, very good and fair question and one which I had myself. As I see it, a good integrated PAPR system vs the non integrated approach has several important advantages.
- higher safety and effectiveness - which comes from a variety of factors.
With a mask, seal is important. The particles which are the most dangerous to your health are the smallest ones as they can make their way deep into the lower lung where your body doesn’t have as effective means to sweep them away, and if you don’t get a good seal, these small particles can enter a mask in the gap between your face and the mask. This is especially true for those of us with beards. I’ve seen it often when I’ve looked at the mask edges and seen it in my beard. The bread is not an effective filter for small particles.
With PAPR my whole face is dust free, regardless of beard, including no dust accumulation on my glasses.
For those who have challenges breathing ( I fortunately do not), such as asthma, COPD, etc, I’m told breathing through a mask can be tiring, since your lungs have to overcome the resistance in both directions. PAPR’s of course use the motor to do that work.

My glasses nor my visor don’t fog up, since there is a constant flow of fresh clean air from top to bottom. Clear vision is a good thing!

With the helmet I have (M-307), it’s much more impact protective than the normal Uvex face shield, both for eyes and head. ( having had pieces on the lathe blow up or come off the chuck while turning, this isn’t a small benefit).
For my system where the battery and motor weight are not sitting on my head, but on a belt at my waist, it’s very comfortable to use for long periods, whereas the Peek and Trend units I’ve tried are heavier and weirdly balanced, nor are they as impact resistant. They are also loader in my ears.

Do I always use my PAPR ? Sometimes not - particularly when not sanding or using volatile finishes and am turning between centers on green wood. But I wear it much more than not.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Happy Versaflow user here, before that I had the Racal/3M version with the yellow hard hat.

AS to why PAPR, two primary reasons. First I'd need to shave my beard off to use a N95 mask effectively. My DW of 40+ years has never seen my chin and it might frighten her ;-). Second is comfort, especially in warmer weather, Having a cool breeze across your face automatically defogging your glasses is quite pleasant.

The Versaflow helmet is a lot heavier than my old helmet was, albeit providing better protection. I probably wear it less than I should as a result. I have my battery pack in the backpack configuration, which I find more comfortable than having another belt cinched around my waist, but it adds to the pull in the neck/shoulder area. If I wore it more I'm sure I'd build the appropriate muscles, but I've been on major projects the last couple of years that don't involve much turning or dust generation so I'm only using it a few hours a month right now.

Well, as some have said, the positive pressure systems keep your glasses and face shield from fogging up. Add to that, if you have a beard, any type of face mask does not seal 100%, and a beard is pretty coarse. I have heard of several people who use an old CPAP machine for making a positive pressure mask set up. You would need to be plugged in. I have 2 old CPAP machines that I keep but don't use any more. My sleep apnea didn't go away, but I did switch to a "mandibular advancement device" which is a mouth guard that pulls your lower jaw forward. It works far better, at least for me, than the CPAP machine did. I guess the main reason the sleep centers push them is that they make money off of them and they won't make money off of the mouth guard things.... You can buy a $30 or so one on the internet to see how it works for you, and if you like it. go to an orthodontist who will make one. They were covered by prescription for me.

robo hippy

I got a good price on an open box Trend AirShield Pro. It works fine, but there are some definite cons are as follows: fan is a bit loud; battery warning is irritating; unit feels heavy; batteries and filters are expensive. The battery warning starts beeping with a couple of hours of run time remaining. If I wear my ear buds then the fan noise and battery warning aren't so bad. The big pro is that it is much less expensive.

I got a good price on an open box Trend AirShield Pro. It works fine, but there are some definite cons are as follows: fan is a bit loud; battery warning is irritating; unit feels heavy; batteries and filters are expensive. The battery warning starts beeping with a couple of hours of run time remaining. If I wear my ear buds then the fan noise and battery warning aren't so bad. The big pro is that it is much less expensive.
I disabled the buzzer. Had forgotten how irritating it was.

Back