• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Reminder

Cutting cherry is one of my favorite things. It smells good, peels well green, looks and sells well after drying.

Note, however that it does not get along well with cast iron. You can cover the tablesaw with cardboard and keep it protected unless you look for that pencil that's in the miter gauge groove and don't pay attention to what drops from the hair on your arms when you lift the cardboard. Two stray curls make two dark shadows on the iron when cleanup starts a hour later.

Watch those acid woods, brush the curls off your arms, and check before you re-cover the iron. Everybody remembers to brush off the bandsaw, right?

R

Ron Sardo

If you think cherry is bad, you haven't messed with green oak or walnut

Thanks for the heads-up MM. I have had some stains develop on my table saw over the years (I sometimes lay my chain saw on it after cutting standing timber) and never connected the dots. I still think you have enough "tips" in your library to write that book I suggested a while back. When the grandchild is taking a nap you have to be in the house anyway, why not use that time to start your outline?

Back