• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

reducing a delta lathe 46-715 speed?

Is there a way to reduce the speed of the delta lathe 46-715 below its minimum speed? thanks in advance, Jess

thanks

thanks for the replies,
was trying to turn some off-center items.
have to slow it down some how, or not turn off-center.
thanks again.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Take the cover off and look at the speed lever. I seem to remember doing something that let me move the lever a little further toward the slow end. I don't think it reduced the speed enough to matter. I remember that lathe walked all over my shop when I was trying to rough out bowls, and I had a fairly heavy stand.
You can't really reduce the size of the pulleys. When they open up they go just about as small as the shaft.

Website
www.abhats.com
I had one some time back and tried everything I could. Finally got a real deal on a 1hp electronic variable speed motor from Vega (they had some left over from a project) and was just about ready to replace the motor when my dear wife told me to buy the lathe of my dreams (a Stubby). I ended up selling the Delta and new motor to someone else, and I believe they've not got around to making the swap yet. If you're interested, send me a note off-line and I'll give you their email address.

KEW

If I recall correctly, you can press the thumb button and move the lever CCW to a lower speed, however it will not stay there unless you put a notch in the plastic ring on the headstock where the lever pivots.
It is an easy modification, I don't know how much speed reduction it will get you, but every little bit helps!

I did that on my 1236 and because it is so low in the drive pulley it eats the belt. Slows down ok, but the fixed portion of the reeves pully gets into the belt and it does not take more than 20 minutes total run time to shred it. I don't do that any more as the belts are 12$. I opted for a 3/4 hp 110v dc mtr with controler ( used from my job, cost me an Elm bowl)

Website
www.chakajo.com
I'm not bothering

I have one, and I don't really see the point in major modification. The lathe just isn't worth it.

However, there is one adjustment you can make that will help quite a bit. There are two dial indicators on the speed lever mechanism. One is outside the cover, and the other is inside. There is a vertical bolt in the casting that acts as a stop for the inside dial indicator. Remove it entirely, and you will be able to get the belt to hit the shaft on the motor end. That is as slow as it will go. The only problem as that it is hard to get the pulley to bite on the belt with so little tension. Also, when it's that loose it tends to work itself even more loose.

That's the best I've come up with so far, but in addition I have about 300 lbs of wet log weighing it down.

Good Luck.

Back