• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Quality changes for Teknatool?

KEW

I know that Teknatool has moved some of it's production out of New Zealand.
Any idea which products got moved?
Does anyone have any experience with the product from China?
TIA,
Kurt

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Curt, it's hard telling.

The 1624-44 is the only item I know of that has been made in China. Just going by the postings I've seen on the Nova list, and other locations, it might be that they have had some (additional) QC/QA issues with that factory.

Please note I said additional. My New Zealand made DVR-XP had a suxy paint job, they have obviously not actually put the tool-rest in the banjo (despite it being checked off), as it didn't fit until I spent some time with a rat file on the banjo hole; and they had not cleaned all the casting flashing off the underside.

While the bed extension I bought a few weeks later was near perfect.

I've seen a couple of the 1624-44 that have come from China and they were near flawless. Does this mean that all of them will be the same? No as with anything manufactured there will be some problems. The Chinese factory is supposed to be an ISO 900? factory. When GE in Erie PA went ISO certified when I worked there they did away with the inspectors. Everyone was to be their own inspector, people work to varying degrees and you can bet junk gets shipped, I suspect China is no different. I believe Teknatool has to tighten up their quality control and have a zero defects policy. The newly rereleased Ornamental Turner from China is not without some problems in some of the units. The saving grace for this company is the fact that they will jump through hoops to satisfy their customers. My DVR is flawless and I love it and I now have an Ornamental Turning Unit that I believe is A-1 but due to my Mother being hospitalized I have not been able to put it through its paces.

Back