• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Pyrography/Woodburning

Website
www.SmoothTurning.com
I'm ready to expand my meager list of abilities and thought in addition to signing my work I could enhance the look of my pieces with woodburning. The woodburning pen I have from Harbor Freight just won't cut it, so its time to look at a serious system.

Can anyone offer a recommendation? I don't think I'll ever go as far as Andi Wolfe does with her beautiful work, but I'd like some options for the pieces I work on.

Which tips to get?
What wattage?
Any particular system?

Things to watch out for, besides fingers melting?

Thanks.

Website
www.chakajo.com
Pyro advice

We bought a Razertip SK system through craft supplies last year for the family business. It has tons of power, and it's comfortable to use it. I've worked over an hour with a red hot tip with not much bother. We bought the interchangable tip pen which has been great (fun making the tips too), but I want to buy a dedicated skew pen at least. My Mom uses it more than any of the rest of us (I need/want to use it more), and she loves it. There are several brands/models on the market, but I would highly suggest picking one that offers an exchangable tip pen.

Charles

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've been real happy with my Optima. You can't even believe how much more control you have over your cheap burner. Been there done that. I've done a lot of research and the Optima and Razor tip seem to be the favorites. I think you would be happy with either one. Here's where bought the Optima. He's a little slow getting it to you but I think it was worth the wait.
http://www.carvertools.com/aboutpjl.htm

Brodie

I use the Colwood Cub woodwriter and have a few of the pens. JUst bought the Razortip Create-a-tip Pen and an adaptor to power it with the Cub. Early testing says it will be great. This combo saves a few bucks over the full razor tip set-up.

Frank

DMcIvor

AAW Staff
Website
www.mcivorwoodworks.com
pyrography

I received a Colwood Super Pro II for Christmas, and it is a terrific tool. I received it with the writing tip (I think this is the G tip, if I recall correctly).

I was immediately interested in expanding my opportunities with the tool but like you had no idea where to go next. I contacted Mollie Winton, who gave me some very succinct and helpful advice. She indicated that she uses only a few tips for her work, and based on her recommendations I ended up with the J, C, SQ, and .24" round tips. One of these--the J--I have yet to use, so you really don't need much unless you're going to get into the fancy pyrography, like shading decoys. Mollie also suggested that the writing point is too large for signing works, and having tried it I'd agree. I use a razor point tip instead.

At some point I think it might be fun to explore making my own tips, which is easy to do and all the elements are readily available from Colwood and other sources.

Back