• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Pyrography Question

What tip do you find that you use most and what is it used for? The more I explore this topic the more confused I get. I just want to start with simple on maple bowls.

All a grand experiment! :)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I use a small writing tip, a small ball and a medium sized skew for most all I do. It depends a lot on what you want to do. If it's branding textures then of course you need one or more of the branding style bits like Molly Winton Sells through Packard.
If your into fine details then the smaller writing tips and skews are handy. The other tips are more for details that are hard to do freehand like the fish scale tips.
the flat tips are more for shading.
There are some excellent books on pyrography. Order one and study it and it will help you a lot. I recommend.
Scroll Saw magazines book on Pyrography. It is a fox chapel publication. I found it on the magazine rack but you might be able to order it.
The great book of Woodburning by Lora Irish Great book.
Introduction to pyrography by Daniel Wright

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I have about three tips that I use the "most": the writing tip, the knife or skew blade, and the flat tip. I can plug two different pens into my burner so it is easy to switch between them. The type pens that I use has the tip and pen integrated together and I think that is much more convenient that changing tips.

Back