• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Price advice

Hi All,

The wife, of one of our recently past members contacted me about pricing information on her late husbands tools.

She has a NOVA 3000 8 speed Mini Lathe – with Talon and Vantage Chucks, large number of face plates, tool rests, a steady rest, and couple other related attachments. It is mounted on a Craftsman Drawer / Cabinet Unit. All are in VERY GOOD condition. She would prefer to see these as a whole.

I'm not familiar with he Nova 3000 8 speed and would very much appreciate some suggestions on it's value with the combined equipment.

In addition to the lathe and immediate gear above he had a couple sharpening systems (wet and dry), vacuum system, carving and turning gouges, etc.. Again all in very good and some never used condition.

I can look through multiple woodturning catalogs for tool prices, do you all think 60% of retail is fair value?

I don't believe she want TOP dollar, however I do not want to cheat her either.

Appreciate any thoughts / feedback.

Thanks in advance, Happy turnin'

Frank

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Frank I had the Nova 3000. With a bed extension I think I paid about $900 new. They are probably older chucks so I would guess around $150 or less each. Sharpening systems vary by a huge amount in cost so we would need to know more.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Frank, to compare look at the Nova 1624-44, it's the replacement for the Nova-3000 (not the Nova DVR-3000)

My swag would be $500, for ther LATHE

Oh, ya, I wouldn't call the 3000 a "mini", not with the ability to turn a 14 to 16 inch bowl.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
60% of retail or 50% of MSRP, which ever "Feels Best" is my usual rule (when buying or selling)

My 3000, with a Super Nova, short rest and vacuum adapter cost me 700, and was worth every penny. It also came with the Woodcraft modular rest and a curved top. I quickly relegated that useless POS to the scrap heap.

The 3000 ran about 1200 in its day, not as cheap as the 16-24. Sixty percent would be about right. True antique iron, like a US-made unisaw, would command a higher percentage.

Back