• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Powermatic 3520b. Anyone replace the spindle lock button/bar?

I bent my spindle lock trying to loosen a large piece attached with a faceplate. I can't find any resource describing replacing it. I have ordered a new one. My investigation has left me with the unfortunate realization that I must remove the entire spindle in order to replace the current spindle lock button/bar. I am hoping that someone has a better option or can confirm this is indeed the only way.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
The spindle lock button should come out with just 2 allen screws. Not sure about the spindle lock ring that is on the spindle. It has allen screws that fasten it in place but I don't have access to my lathe right now to look. I find it hard to believe you bent the spindle lock button. It's pretty stiff. Check and see if it's aligned properly with the spindle lock ring. You may have damaged the spindle lock ring. It has a square opening. I've seen them rounded out.

Thanks. Definitely bent. Can turn it and see the bend. Can not see any set screws related to the mechanism. Just the button cover itself. I think the piece is installed before the spindle is put in place
therefore probably needs to come out that way.

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I have a Jet which has the same spindle lock setup and I hold the lock in with a button sized rare earth magnet that I store next to the lock button.

M1.jpg
M2.jpg

Website
jpseyfried.com
Here is a detail from the parts diagram showing teh spindle lock and the locking pin. It also shows the location of the set screw. Part #64 is the locking collar and #59 is the pin.

View attachment 8852

Here are a couple link to solutions to keeping the locking pin engaged.

If you look at part 99 in the parts diagram it is Powermatic's upgrade to keep the locking pin engaged. At this years symposium a rep gave me an upgrade kit; it works as intended.

Matthew, which part did you bend? Part number 59 in the parts diagram Bill posted?

did you ever figure out how to remove it. I bent mine the other day. I have the spindle removed and can see the bend in the lock but can't straighten it enough to remove it.

Back