• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Powermatic 3520 (American Made) Value?

I have the opportunity to purchased a used (obviously) American made Powermatic 3520. It is approximately 12-14 years old and appears in good functioning condition. I was wondering what the market value of this machine would be. Any ideas?

Pm 3520

Well, I have that exact lathe and you would have to rip my dead fingers off the go switch before I would sell it for any model! -- unless you had $2500 in your hand!
Seriously, it does not have head spindle lock or index plate but mine, bought used, has been running for countless hours over 10 years. My advise; buy it no matter what the price.
Philip

I bought the same PM 4 years ago from another club member. It was 5 to 6 years old and in great condition. It cost $1750 and she and her husband delivered it and set it up. I am very happy with it. Don't worry about the spindle lock - there is a simple way to correct it. Check the AAW journals.

Last edited:
Good luck. Right now considering the market the seller can get 80% of what retail is on a new one. And then sell the chucks separately. I could sell my Stubby right now and make money on it vs what I paid for it. When I thought I was going to have to sell due to back surgeries I had several calls from people on the Internet offering to buy it even though I hadn't mentioned selling.

I have a 3520B about 5 years old and would not take less than $3200 for the lathe only nothings else... I think I could get that price with ads in Craig list and a few forums .... with local pickup only

Paul

You were right. They wanted retail. I think I will purchase new for that price. At least i will have the warranty. The older 3520 must be a very good machine, but don't know if my skill level will appreciate the difference between a new B model powermatic (or new Oneway) and the older 12 year old American made one.

Back