• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Pocket Handle for NR Scraper

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I make my own NR scrapers from stock HSS I buy on amazon. It's not expensive and I like it as well as anything I've bought from a tool mfg. Approx. 12"x1"x1/4" is a good size for most of what I do. I have a pocket handle that lets me put a different shape on each end and swap end to end as needed. Easy to make, just a snug fit but one you can slide out and back in without a struggle. A little paraffin helps. Most of my NR scraper work is done up close so don't need a long handle but something flat and easy to hold is better than just holding the bare steel. the magnet is just a reminder of which side has the burr. One of those things that I'm sure others have done, done better and not a new idea but something that's new for me.

I searched and could not find a similar post. Apologies if a duplicate.

Attachments

• IMG_6830.jpg
    IMG_6830.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_6829.jpg
    IMG_6829.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_6828.jpg
    IMG_6828.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 157

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Sure, I guess OK to post here directly. It's on amazon from Utoolmart, 6mm x 25mm x 300mm in case the link doesn't work. Supply can vary based on size you're looking for. I've also ordered wider pieces (40mm) from a company called Auniwaig and Uxcell. I suspect it's all from the same source just different vendors offer it. A search on HSS blanks will show you a number of suppliers. The ship dates can vary but should be able to find one that ships quick.

Those handles are similar to what I make for my scrapers. I think I referred to them as sandwiches. It might work to have them removable. I did just get a number of blanks from D Way that will be used for specialty tools for making boxes. That would make them easier to remove from the handles..... Might have to ponder this for a bit.

robo hippy

Another method is to route a pocket in one or both sides for the tool. 6 one way, 1/2 dozen the other way….. could also put a thumbscrew on one side if the fit becomes loose over time or you just want the tool held tighter.

Back