• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

PM3520B Dust Port

The ID is a shade over 3.75". The OD is a hair over 4". The 4" connector for my dust collector wouldn't fit on the port so I quickly turned an adapter out of MDF that allows me to connect with no problem.

When I was buying my 3520b I saw the dust collector and said to myself "I wouldn't want that even if it was free!". I had a homemade box style unit that I mounted on an adjustable stand and was completely satisfied with that.

Anyway, to make a long story short, Powermatic sent me one for free. I decided to give it a try and I found it to be vastly superior to my homemade rig. The shape of the collector seems to make it a lot more effective at collecting dust from round objects. Being able to adjust the location of the dust collector by moving the tailstock beats the heck out of having to reach over the lathe or having to walk around the lathe to move the stand of my home made unit.

I definitely consider it worth what I paid for it. And I would even actually be willing to buy one. I think you would find it worthwhile. If you have the money, go for it.

Ed

PM Dust Port

Kurt,
I bought one of these with my new lathe and it's terrific! It allows for adjustment up and down, in and out, as well as rotating. The drawbacks are that if you are turning something short and skinny, the dust port will hit the headstock and limit how close you can get the tailstock. BTW, if you take the spindle duplicator mounting arm off the back of the tailstock, there is more room for the dust port. My 4"D cust collector hose slid right on the back of the port, and the clamshell construction makes it more useful for different sizes. My feeling was that I would spend more time making one that wouldn't be as useful. (One last thing, the port only fits the newer style banjo with the grooves along the sides.) Let us know what you decide to do!
KurtB:)

Last edited:
Back