• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

PM3520 Bed and tool rest extension

I don't own one (yet) but I seem to recall reading that it actually gives you 39 or 40" of swing. :eek:

Jason

I have one on my 3250b. It mounts 9" below the main bed. That gives you a new max swing of 38".

I turned a 35" shallow bowl. Here are some thoughts:

The tool rest extension works as you would expect and the banjo seems to be able to handle the forces of turning the outer reaches of something that large. Still, I was very cautious in my turning and did not get overly aggressive. That's a lot of mass in motion.

It was not a lot of fun mounting a gut buster of a blank on the lathe. On the other hand, the tailstock didn't seem quite as heavy any more. Of course, you can't use the tailstock with the bed extension, so you are limited in what you can turn.

Reverse chucking to finish the bottom of anything is a whole new experience as well. I probably spent more time making a custom jig to be able to finish the bottom of the bowl then I spent turning the bowl. (I don't thave a vacuum system and don't know if that would make reversing very large pieces any easier).

A surprisingly large number of people don't want to own a 35" shallow bowl (my wife included).

All things considered, I'm glad I did it but I'll probably never make anything over 20" diameter again. I really missed having the tailstock available for so many things. I use the extension as a storage rack these days and it's a great place to put the tailstock when I don't want it on the main bed. Saves having to go all the way to the floor with it. As soon as I get the energy I'm going to move the extension up to the top position so I have a longer bed.

Longer rather than wider. That's the ticket.

Ed

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I already have the bed extension for my 3520 A so I'm thinking about drilling the holes to mount it. I don't want to turn a 35" bowl but would like to turn some offcenter pieces that may swing 25" on one corner.

Pm3520

Kurt,
Happy I can answer another question! While I agree with the above comment about not having alot of use for a 35" bowl, I just turned a piece that needed greater swing than the 20". I had a red mallee burl blank, and the thickest part meant that my bowl section was all the way at one end. Instead of losing the rest of the burl, 15" OA, I turned it on the end of the lathe (very nice BTW to stand facing the bowl) and turned the burl with the wing spinning. While this was a little intimidating, it worked great.
So, platters, winged bowls, wall hangings, off center turnings, etc. become easier with the PM extension set up. In additon, you can always move it up to the top of the bed, and turn up to a 45" candlestick if you want!
PM me if I can give you any additonal info you seek before you make your purchases.
KurtB:D

KEW

Thanks, that is exactly the info I needed:
1) A reality check that over 20" diameter is getting pretty extreme and
2) the reminder that it is also useful for off-center work (which is something I plan to do).

For me, I think I'll hold onto my $300 (plus $30 S&H) a little longer. My 3520 is still new to me and instead of pre-buying, I'll save the extensions for when I'm looking for a new thrill.

Thanks again!

So, platters, winged bowls, wall hangings, off center turnings, etc. become easier with the PM extension set up. In additon, you can always move it up to the top of the bed, and turn up to a 45" candlestick if you want!

Yes, and you can also turn a 40 inch set of spindles for a stairway or deck.

John:)

I already have the bed extension for my 3520 A so I'm thinking about drilling the holes to mount it. I don't want to turn a 35" bowl but would like to turn some offcenter pieces that may swing 25" on one corner.

John - let us know how that goes. I'd like to do it sometime, but don't have the experience with tapping holes that large in cast iron. I have a crotch piece I'd like to do a wall hanging out of someday.

Back