• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Al Miotke for "Laminations Galore" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 9, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Pm 3520c headstock not locking solid

Looks like the problem is the bottom of the headstock was not quite flat. It was slightly convex. Less than a .0015 shim. I filed down the center portion a bit and the vibration is greatly reduced. I need to file it a bit more to get it perfect.

For the tool rest clamp, I added a spring between the two clamp blocks to push them apart. This eliminated needing to fuss with it when changing tool results.
Glad to hear you figured it out and have a straightforward solution.

Nice hack to put a spring in the tool rest clamp. That's something they should want to include in the "D", if it ever comes out. Maybe they'll give you a hat in return for the suggestion.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I don't know anything about this lathe or its clamping mechanism. But my first thought is to try and slip a shim between the bed and the headstock at one end when the clamp is fully loosened. Even a layer or two of paper might be enough.

Ordinarily, that might be a good suggestion, but unfortunately on the PM 3520 lathes the motor is cantilevered out the outboard end of the headstock.

If I am not mistaken, I believe there is an adjustment on the handwheel end of the spindle that might need to be snugged up a bit to remove any free play. You might need to remove the handwheel to access the spindle bearing lock nut. Straighten any bent tabs on the lock washer. Don't over-tighten the nut. Never mind, I see that the problem has been identified and corrected.

Back