• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Please critique my work. Good or bad.

Here few picture of my work in spalted ash 5 1/2 x 2 finish lacquer
what value would put on this

Attachments

• DSCN1173.jpg
    DSCN1173.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCN1174.jpg
    DSCN1174.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCN1176.jpg
    DSCN1176.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCN1178.jpg
    DSCN1178.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 140

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
At one time, I was a student in a private school for oil painting. The general thought of the time was, "the bigger the signature, the bigger the ego". I have always believed this is true. Some very famous painters (and lathe turners) have signatures that are way too big and conspicuous, but it doesn't mean they aren't good at what they do.......it just means that, in the eyes of the artist, their signature is more important to the work of art, than many observers will think.

ooc

Website
www.jjstephen.com
Two points of non-woodturning criticism:

1. Your signature on the bottom needs some work. :)
2. Your photography needs some work. In the last two pictures, you are focused on the wall, not the bowl.

The side pictures are out of focus, but it seems like you achieved a good curve on the outside. I don't see any obvious flat spots. Did you feel like you achieved consistent wall thickness?

That's a nice chunk of wood.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
I agree with the others' comments about the signature; in brutal honesty, it’s pretty ugly. I’d recommend that whatever wording you write on the bottom be in cursive or nicely formed lettering, maybe 1/4†tall. Some of us also write the type of wood. A Dremel engraver is what I use.

As to value, if it were mine, I’d price it in the $25-35 range. It’s on the small side and the wood is not unusual or highly figured. Someone is going to use it as a nut/candy/keys dish and they likely won’t spend much for that use.

The bowls aren't bad. (I don't make my living at turning or photography--it's my "therapy"-but I do a lot--So read mine as a "regular" guy looking)
You used Ash which isn't one of my favorites because the grain and colors aren't real consistent at times (others will disagree with me), although it IS fun to get it on a lathe. No problem with the shape and thickness is totally up to the turner's comfort range. The signature does need some work--kind of hard to get a Dremel to do that (I tried that before too). For my turnings I use fine point woodburning tool- takes a little practice, but sooo much better. Sharpies are OK--but aren't permanent, despite the label.
If you can get that amount for a bowl that size- go for it.

Back