• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Planer Tuning

:confused: :confused: HELP!!! I have a Delta 12 1/2" Planer, and need to adjust the on and off feed tables. Any help, or where to look would be a great help!!!! Thanks in advance.

Don,

I set my planer's (JPM-13) in and out feed tables with a 3' straightedge. Set it on the base platten and then adjust the brackets and set the tables to match. In fact, I adjust the outfeed table to have a slight upslope which seems to help with snipe.

mm

PS: Adjustment instructions for your machine should be in the owner's manual. If you've lost yours, you can log onto Delta's website and get a look-see at it by registering on their service net.

m

Last edited:
Website
www.gvpencheff.com
Mark Mandell said:
In fact, I adjust the outfeed table to have a slight upslope which seems to help with snipe.
What Mark said. Current wisdom indicates both in and outfeed tables should be adjusted just a little bit higher at the ends rather than level with the platten.

But the question remains, what is a woodturner doing with a planer? Some who post frequently here may think you blaspheme merely by asking about (heaven forfend) "flat" woodworking machinery. ;)

Me personally, I have a bunch of it and I still use it.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Greg I use a planer constantly in wood turning. At least if you do segmented work on inlay work. It speeds the process up tremendously if you start with a good flat board. Actually I use almost all the tools in my shop to get ready for some part of woodturning.
Even if I don't I try to pretend that I do so I can buy more tools.

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
john lucas said:
Greg I use a planer constantly in wood turning.
Sorry... I wasn't tongue-in-cheek enough. I was poking fun at all the guys who have turned their flatwork machines into assembly tables and drying racks and such :)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Greg Even though I use my tablesaw a lot it still becomes a catch all for tools, chucks, etc, while I'm turning. It just happens to be the closest horizontal surface to my lathe. It's amazing how turning takes over the shop.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Mr Don I always had snipe problems with my Delta so I built a wooden platform that was 3 feet long and sat on the planer bed. I waxed it really good. This worked much better to eliminate snipe than the funky outfeed tables that came with it. You do sacrifice 3/4" of height but how often do you plane 4" boards.

Mark Mandell said:
Don,

I set my planer's (JPM-13) in and out feed tables with a 3' straightedge. Set it on the base platten and then adjust the brackets and set the tables to match. In fact, I adjust the outfeed table to have a slight upslope which seems to help with snipe.

m

Just to be clear on this, do you mean that the wings of the planer should slope up away from the main base?

Stephen

Aux. Planer Table

J.L.,
Sounds like a good idea. Will try it (if I don't forget) when new shop is built and am moved in. Maybe some of the Melamine faced material or smooth high pressure laminate glued to suitable substrate would be successful. The planer, tablesaw, and sometimes the jointer are pretty useful for segmented work. I do use an mdf cover on the TS when it becomes just a T.

My biggest complaint with Delta was not able to adjust the in/out feed pinch roller to eliminate the snipe, snipe on the out feed side ( first part of the board out )is caused by the infeed roller too tight, snipe on the in feed side ( the end of the board out last) by the out feed roller too tight. adjusting the support trays will help eliminate depending on which end has the snipe, with my delta I get it on both ends and make up for in on my drum sander ( which had the same problem but the operator is able to addjust the tension ( pinch) rollers.

Back