• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Photography gradient background

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
graduated background gently sweeps back from horizontal at the bottom and roughly 45° at the top. The curve is very gradual. I use some pieces of ⅛" Baltic birch plywood and a sheet of Formica to make the support for the graduated background.
Thanks for the tip Bill, that’s helpful. Was struggling to get a proper smooth curve—I hadn’t even thought about supporting the paper. D’oh! I think I also need to diffuse my primary light source more, which I think will help mitigate that horizontal band. Foam board is a good idea as well.

Hi everyone,

Following the Louisville symposium, I haven’t done a ton of actual turning; however, I have spent a lot of time cleaning, reorganizing, and planning. Planning for ways to get more serious about the craft. One of these ways is to improve my photography setup. I think it was Emiliano A or Bill B that said something along the lines of “your piece is only as good as its photograph”. The more involved I get, the more I realize this is true. So…one of the ways I am trying to improve my photographs is to get a proper gradient background or two. That said, they are expensive. I realize this is an investment, so I’m willing to pay for worthwhile backgrounds, but I’m wondering about this site, and if anyone has purchased through it/them:

The prices seem almost too good to be true; although this usually screams “run away”, that’s not always the case. I like the offerings in larger sizes, but am not sure if the quality is there. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help!
I ordered it...don't waste your time or your money....gonna try to get the creases out.....nothing I can do about the stains.....
Very disappointed!

Attachments

• PXL_20230814_194159136 (1).jpg
    PXL_20230814_194159136 (1).jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 37

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I ordered it...don't waste your time or your money....gonna try to get the creases out.....nothing I can do about the stains.....
Very disappointed!
What the heck is that? Definitely false advertising! I guess for $8 they figure you won't pay to return it. I've got a better looking tarp under my car to catch oil drips.

When ordered from a reputable company they come in a hefty tube and are creaseless. I ordered 2 and they came in separate tubes.

You're right about those prices. I believe the material is probably different than most offerings. Many years ago a woodturner/photographer recommended a #09 gradient background (dk. gray to white). I still have it. I'm sure they are available from other sources, including Amazon, but here are two links. (Can't believe Photo Tech is the same price as when I bought from them 12 yrs. ago. B&H is a great company - my go-to for most items).

Thanks for sharing Tom. Just got mine ordered from BHphoto............:)

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I've ordered graduated backgrounds from both B&H (Flotone) and Photo Tech (Varitone); as far as I can tell, they are identical. The last time that I ordered from Photo Tech, due to a winter storm in Wisconsin, it was drop shipped directly from the manufacturer, Superior Specialty Papers in Chandler, Arizona. It's conceivable, given the similarity, that they also make the Flotone backgrounds sold by B&H and Adorama.

While it's possible to fix scratches in the graduated background with the healing brush in Photoshop, it's less work, in the long run, to avoid creating the scratches (small felt disks or even construction paper serve the purpose just fine).

Don't buy from Phototec. They are the seller I bought from that never shipped my item. Sent multiple emails and never heard from them

Stuff happens. In my limited experience ordering from them, I haven't had any problems. However, being a one-man operation, their response time to email doesn't rival B&H.

Hi everyone,

Following the Louisville symposium, I haven’t done a ton of actual turning; however, I have spent a lot of time cleaning, reorganizing, and planning. Planning for ways to get more serious about the craft. One of these ways is to improve my photography setup. I think it was Emiliano A or Bill B that said something along the lines of “your piece is only as good as its photograph”. The more involved I get, the more I realize this is true. So…one of the ways I am trying to improve my photographs is to get a proper gradient background or two. That said, they are expensive. I realize this is an investment, so I’m willing to pay for worthwhile backgrounds, but I’m wondering about this site, and if anyone has purchased through it/them:

The prices seem almost too good to be true; although this usually screams “run away”, that’s not always the case. I like the offerings in larger sizes, but am not sure if the quality is there. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help!
Hi Michael, I use an ESDDI photography tent kit I bought off of Amazon for less than $30. It has different colored background you can use and has an incorporated LED top light. I added some inexpensive LED sidelights that can be color adjusted. I focus stack my photos so that everything is in focus. It works nicely for what I do.2021-02-17 09-25-37 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4) (1).jpg2021-03-18 15-09-48 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpgPDM Stave vase1.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread Mike and for replying with what you ended up going with. I'm working to ramp up this fall and also recognize the need for much better pictures. Seems like I'm behind on the camera front as well. I really don't want to get into the weeds with camera and lights and all the set up but do want to improve the end product.

I also need a solution that can go up and down without much trouble. I'll probably be doing this on my kitchen island since I don't have a dedicated space it can all stay out.

I think a roll of solid paper is going to be a better option for me over the gradient sheet since I will need to move things around and I have two young boys that I'm sure will want to help.

Thanks for starting this thread Mike and for replying with what you ended up going with. I'm working to ramp up this fall and also recognize the need for much better pictures. Seems like I'm behind on the camera front as well. I really don't want to get into the weeds with camera and lights and all the set up but do want to improve the end product.

I also need a solution that can go up and down without much trouble. I'll probably be doing this on my kitchen island since I don't have a dedicated space it can all stay out.

I think a roll of solid paper is going to be a better option for me over the gradient sheet since I will need to move things around and I have two young boys that I'm sure will want to help.
As I recommended before, IKEA roller blind makes a very nice wrinkleproof background. I painted it a mottled grey. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/fridans-black-out-roller-blind-white-10396944/

I saw you had mentioned that and think its a genius idea. For the effort it would take to go buy one and paint it I think I'll probably end up with a roll of gray paper. If I already had one, or if ikea was a bit more accessible to me, I'd consider going that route.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Seamless photo Paper works well. They come in fairly wide rolls but you can cut the roll to shorter widths with a handsaw.

You're right about those prices. I believe the material is probably different than most offerings. Many years ago a woodturner/photographer recommended a #09 gradient background (dk. gray to white). I still have it. I'm sure they are available from other sources, including Amazon, but here are two links. (Can't believe Photo Tech is the same price as when I bought from them 12 yrs. ago. B&H is a great company - my go-to for most items).

I agree with Tom regarding B&H. I've never seen "junk" on their site. I've bought a ton of photographic equipment from them. Never a bobble.

I ended up buying the roll of gray paper off amazon. I took some pictures with that and found my lighting situation was still lacking so I found some chinese soft lights off facebook marketplace and let them sit for another few weeks. I decided to spin up a website over the weekend so it was time for pictures. I cut a section of the paper and used the two light stands to hold it open on the floor. Keeping the lights really close and pointing straight down I took some pictures with a samsung phone that isn't connecting to the cell network anymore. I think the pictures turned out really well. I have a lot of box elder right now and with it being really light wood I felt like the grain was getting washed out so I fiddled with the light settings and some of them turned out better.

20231015_154227.jpg

20231015_153929.jpg

20231015_153412.jpg

20231015_152427.jpg

Anyway, I got the pictures taken that I needed to and got my meager amount of finished bowls loaded into the website. This is all new to me so I don't know how it'll go from here but its been kind of fun to figure out.

Curious, I asked my brother to make me a background for this picture:
IMG_20231017_073414.jpg
Here is the result. He spent maybe 5 minutes on this so it could be better (more gradient, less tabletop). He has Lightroom but did this in Photoshop instead.
spalted sugarberry.png

I haven't started selling bowls yet so I'm not sure what direction I will go, but I'm thinking the photography route will give the best results.

Curious, I asked my brother to make me a background for this picture:
View attachment 56476
Here is the result. He spent maybe 5 minutes on this so it could be better (more gradient, less tabletop). He has Lightroom but did this in Photoshop instead.
View attachment 56475

I haven't started selling bowls yet so I'm not sure what direction I will go, but I'm thinking the photography route will give the best results.
The backdrop I am familiar with was referred to as a seamless when I purchased a roll about 25 years ago. With the seamless there is no line between the table and the wall.

Back