• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Performax conveyor belt replacement

Fellow Performax 16-32 owners,

I had the "opportunity" to replace the conveyor belt on my 16-32 today. The swap-out wasn't the pain I anticipated. But, I had quite a time getting the replacement belt to run true; it insisted on moving to the motor side.

I followed the manual instructions for correcting this issue, tightening the tension on that same side and loosening the other side. Did this 2-3 times, backing off the tension enough to slide the belt away from the motor and starting over. I eventually got it to run pretty true but the side away from the motor is noticeably under less tension, i.e., I can see some rises in the belt. I ran a few boards through the sander and all seemed to be OK.

Have others of you encountered this? If so, how did you correct it?

Thanks,
-Bob

Bob,
I had four belts shipped to me before I decided I was on my own.
My fix was to cant the outfeed roller.
I relieved the top of the elongated holes on the tensioning bracket farthest from the motor with a file,
then, while adjusting tension, pushed down on the bracket and tightened the bolts.
Since the sanding is indexed off the platen (table) the out of kilter roller has no
effect other then keeping the belt on the machine.
The belt now runs flat on the table and I’m not using the ceramic blocks.
I think the outfeed roller should be crowned, I just haven’t come up with an easy
way to do that.
c

For a short time, the Performax came with a black rubber belt. I bought mine during that time. Is that rubber belt available as a replacement or is it the one that feels like, for lack of a better term, sandpaper?

I have heard that Jet now has the Performax sanders under their brand. I don't need a replacement yet but am concerned that I will not be able to get the nice black rubber belt that I have.

I wonder what the problem is with these replacement belts, I have never in ten years had a problem with mine. My daughter would say that I just jinxed myself.

The sandpaper belt is my biggest complaint on my 10-20. Getting it to run true is UGLY too. Those little thin wrenches are crap. I had hoped Performax would have a rubber replacement that would last, vs. the 25.00 replacement sandpaper one.

Back