• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Chad Eames for "Twisted Walnut Vessel"being selected as Turning of the Week for September 2, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Paul Wolkowinski

Hi Fellow Woodturners,

My name is Paul Wolkowinski, and I live in West Australia. First, I want to extend my heartfelt thanks to the administrators for allowing me to join this community.

I got drawn into woodturning through swinging Indian Clubs and Persian Meels. Both disciplines originally came from India and Persia, where they were used for physical training.

I found club templates in a book published in 1905 and decided to make them back in 2007. After making the first pair, I learnt how to use them and still swing them daily to this day.

Indian Clubs and Persian Meels are always made in pairs. They have to be identical. I found this very challenging at first.

Over the years, I have designed and tweaked the clubs to improve their handling and weight distribution.

My turning falls under the umbrella of spindle work.

I have frequently travelled to India and Iran to learn how to use the clubs and see how they are made.

I was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer in 2017 and went through chemo and androgen blocker treatment. Woodturning and club swinging have been amazing therapy.

I look forward to exchanging ideas and talking to you all.

_A310345 KR1.14lbs-2.jpgWWW_A310349 KR 2.10lbs-2.jpgWWW_A310351 KR 2.10lbs-2.jpgWWW_A310358 UFK 3.6lbs-2.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, Paul. I searched the Internet and learned that these clubs are bigger than the pictures suggest. I also found a YouTube video where you demonstrate exercises using these clubs.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFgz9YBCV8M

Hi Bill,
The original clubs from India and Iran are much bigger than the photos I posted yesterday. The largest clubs from India are called 'Jori', and the smaller ones are called 'Mudgar'. Persian Meels or 'Mil' are used in many different sizes. In the photo, I have a pair of Jori in the left corner. On the floor behind me are Persian Meels. The display on the wall are various types of Indian Clubs.

Attachments

• IMG_0339-Paul-Meels.jpg
    IMG_0339-Paul-Meels.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 15
Paul, welcome! I never cease to be amazed at the things I learn by being on this site. I’ve seen a few of these Indian clubs but never knew a thing about them. Thank you! Continued good health to you!
Lou

Paul, welcome! I never cease to be amazed at the things I learn by being on this site. I’ve seen a few of these Indian clubs but never knew a thing about them. Thank you! Continued good health to you!
Lou
Hi Lou, Indian Clubs are unique. With ancient roots in India and Persia, they became westernised in the early 1830s. Due to extensive military use, they became popular in England and crossed the Atlantic in the 1850s. One of the hardest challenges I had was matching identical pairs of clubs in shaping the concave and convex silhouette of each pair. I have gotten a lot better at it now.

Attachments

• IMG_7052 small.jpeg
    IMG_7052 small.jpeg
    632.7 KB · Views: 4
Back