• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

OT: Couple of birthday boys!

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
Two fellows whom I respect and admire share a birthday today. One, who I've never met, is Wally Dickerman. Happy Birthday Wally, hope you enjoy many more and hope to meet you some day.

The other I know very well, in fact since I was born--Earl Grunke, my dad, residing in a nursing home in La Crosse, WI. Between about '95 and 2003 or so, he let his hair grow and became a professional Santa. He had a blast with it until his aging joints couldn't allow it anymore.

The picture below shows Dad in 1999 with the mayor of La Crosse, the municipal judge, and a family friend at a press conference for the SpokesNFolks event, an annual hap promoting the use of pedal power. That's his real hair, and a real belly too.

Now at 83, Dad has cleaned up his act with shorter hair and less flamboyant clothing, but his age hasn't stopped him from scooting all over the home in his wheelchair, visiting everyone, flirting with the female nurses and giving the male nurses a hard time all in good fun. I'm just proud to be the son of such a kind, big-hearted fellow and hope I'm like him when I grow up!

Attachments

• 19991009MayorSantaJudgeObbi-scaled.jpg
    19991009MayorSantaJudgeObbi-scaled.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
birthday boys

sdseeAkklkjjAnd a fine looking gent he is. I am running4 close behind him at 80 and a half. I have told my kids to get used to seeing me, as I plan to be around 'till I reach the century mark.

Ken,
Happy Birthday to both you heros. Your Dad looks great in that pic. I'm glad heps still having fun. I lost mine a few years back and think of him every day.

Back