• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Oops, I forgot to mention an important detail. (The Joys of Teaching)

I got a new group of 9th graders starting in my woodturning class today. Six lathes & six students. We got off to a great start and the enthusiasm level was way high as they had all heard, and seen, the cool things they could make from the previous group that ended last week.
I always stress the importance of using the proper terminology in class as this is an age group that tends to refer to everything as a "thingy". Before they started turning we covered all the important parts: headstock, tailstock, tailstock lock lever, banjo, tool rest, bed, hand wheel, motor, pulleys, and what more? After a demo, they all got a Hunter Viceroy tool and started spinning our first project, a snowman. It doesn't take long to figure out who's got the knack and who doesn't. Interestingly, at this age the boys have typically not yet found themselves in their bodies and the girls are miles ahead in terms of finesse, a light approach, steady tool use, and comfortable stance. Today's group had one girl, Elsa, who could only be called a natural. Nancy, my teaching assistant and spouse, floated among the kids as I did and we would occasionally stop for some help or praise here and there. At some point we both conferred privately that Elsa was phenomenal and Nancy even pointed out that her snow man rivaled mine. Then she came to report that she had asked Elsa if she had any experience on a lathe before. Elsa responded with, "What's a lathe?"

Sounds like Big Fun, Tom. What projects are you having the kids make that they find so appealing? (other than snowmen)

Sounds like Big Fun, Tom. What projects are you having the kids make that they find so appealing? (other than snowmen)
It is Big Fun for us. I love it.
These are all first time, entry level turners. We'll make an Apprentice slim line pen next, then a bottle stopper with cork & dowel, and then a small 5" diameter bowl from Sapele. The last group made a screwdriver handle for a 4-in-1 screwdriver instead of the snowman. The screwdriver was well done, but on review, they all said they would rather skip it. Today, when some from the first group came back after class they were complaining that they didn't get to make a snowman. (It wasn't winter when you started.) Obviously, the pens are very popular. The first pen is on the school's budget, and anything after that costs them $5. The kids who come back for free time are thrilled to make more pens for gifting. And what is the first thing a kid does after making a pen? They start writing/drawing on their arms!

Very cool, Tom-As a high school English teacher (who doesn't teach turning-I'm still very much learning that!), I know how rewarding it is to have high-flying students who get it, and are enthusiastic about the subject.

And having taught every secondary grade, I think 9th graders are the hardest, so kudos to you for reaching them.

It's a funny thing. You never know which student is going to "get it". I'm not a good turner, yet I love it and love to talk and see others turn. It may not be the best that gets the most from your class. You never know which one may come back to it when their lives slow down because of what you offered them. Your also teaching your love and respect for the craft which is just as important IMO.

Over the years, our high school after-school turning program has had a wide range of students demographics. Some of the students have never found success in classes or other school activities, until they try turning. It's remarkable what it can do to their self-confidence. Other students learn to organize, plan, pay attention to details, and a variety of other life lessons that they might not have gotten in the regular curriculum. I try always to "catch" them doing something well and make a big deal out of it. Often, it's the first bead they turn, when I raise both my arms and holler "We have a wood turner!". The grins I get are most memorable.

Yeah, the grins are there, even clearly visible under the masks. Sometimes even the kids who work so hard at being sullen and cool all day will literally jump with joy when they see that have made a useful, simple, and practical pen with their own hands.

An approach that I like to use when teaching a younger person is with regard to critical thinking and planning. Once they know the tools and what each tool can do, and what other assets they have available, coach them in the steps to figure out how to get something done. In this case, now that they know how to make a snowman, how would they go about making some other object?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
try always to "catch" them doing something well and make a big deal out of it. Often, it's the first bead they turn, when I raise both my arms and holler "We have a wood turner!". The grins I get are most memorable.
The positive feedback is so important for students 8-80.
And the grins are positive feedback too.

Back