• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Oneway Stronghold Mega Jumbo Jaws question......

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
A few days ago, I purchased a set of extra rubber grippers with extra long screws for my Oneway Stronghold chuck. My purpose was to stack the rubber grippers (two up) to give the chuck a little further capability.

The rubber grippers arrived, and with them were some nuts and washers. I haven't the faintest idea what these are for! I called CSUSA and spoke with the technical advisor, and he told me they were to put on the screws that extend through the back side of the jumbo jaws. When stacking the rubber grippers, there isn't any screw threads extending through the back side of the jumbo jaws....so, that can't be!

Anyone care to comment on the purpose of those nuts and washers?

otis of cologne

Attachments

• Cole jaws, Nova and One Way strong hold (2).jpg
    Cole jaws, Nova and One Way strong hold (2).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 267
Hopefully, someone who knows better will chime in soon enough. In the meantime, from a position of (almost) total ignorance:

How are the grippers attached to the backing plate otherwise? Threaded holes in the backing plate? If so, the nuts would function as jam nuts, and the washers protect the back of the plate. Tightening the screws to compress the grippers might extend them beyond the back, so that the nuts could be attached.

It sounds like the screws are too short to reach beyond the backing plate. How many grippers are you trying to stack? I'd expect that the screws are sized for only two grippers per location.

If neither of the above matches your condition, I note the paper catalog has the same price with and without the screws. So, in effect the screws haven't cost anything. I'd just get some longer screws and use them instead; or make some studs from all-thread, nuts and washers. Your location isn't entirely clear; if retail hardware is scarce, McMaster-Carr, Enco, or Fastenal might be suitable. Even at retail, if I need more than about half a dozen fasteners of the same type, I usually prefer to buy a bulk pack and stockpile the excess.

BTW, nice license plate collection.

Joe (1st Armored Division, 1966-68, stateside)

odie

TOTW Team
Hi Joe....

Yes, the jaw plates have threaded holes. Things as they have been, using only one gripper, the original screws don't go completely through to allow a nut to be installed. When I stack two up, the longer screws supplied are the same.....can't put a nut on there.

I really don't see why nuts are needed there, anyway......I've been using mine without them for at least a dozen years now.

Yep, only two grippers per location.

The grippers don't compress, because the rubber outer piece is installed on a metal center piece. (Kind of like a tire on a rim.)

It has occurred to me that maybe the Mega Jumbo Jaws have been redesigned in some way.....maybe the latest ones are thinner....?

Hang on......I'm going to run out to the shop and take a pic of the back side of the jaws. Maybe someone else who has a newer set of these jaws can tell me if theirs are the same as mine.

Thanks for the input, Joe.....and your service to our country.

....odie

The nuts and washers are for use with the slots in the jaws for out of round turnings. They are included in the hardware pack when you buy the jaws. When you buy an extra set of grippers they just send you a standard hardware pack which includes the nuts and washers. They aren't intended to be used if you are using the threaded holes. Based on your comments, it would appear that they also aren't intended to be used on stacked grippers unless you buy longer screws.

Ed

odie

TOTW Team
OK, here's a pic......

There are one up and two up rubber grippers installed on both jaws.....as you can see, the screws don't extend all the way through to the back side.

Are these jaws the same as the ones currently offered?

otis of cologne

Attachments

• Back side of Mega Jumbo jaws (2).jpg
    Back side of Mega Jumbo jaws (2).jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 214

odie

TOTW Team
The nuts and washers are for use with the slots in the jaws for out of round turnings. They are included in the hardware pack when you buy the jaws. When you buy an extra set of grippers they just send you a standard hardware pack which includes the nuts and washers. They aren't intended to be used if you are using the threaded holes. Based on your comments, it would appear that they also aren't intended to be used on stacked grippers unless you buy longer screws.

Ed

OK, Ed......

Now, that makes some sense.:cool2:

I've never used the slots, so that never occurred to me.

Thanx

otis of cologne

Back