• Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Alan Weinberg for "Ash hollow form" being selected as Turning of the Week for October 14, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

One time lathe lamp purchase- Which one do you recommend?

I was in a spindle turner's shop recently with very low general illumination and two task lamps mounted at the head and tailstock. Low angle raking light will show every defect. I need more overall light just to see my way around these days but when I need to see details, especially when sanding, strong flat focused light and lower ambient levels tell the truth.

…I appreciate how direct the light is when sanding but at times I find it too bright. Sometimes the glint off the chuck is strong and can create a strobe-like effect depending on speed…

You might try taping a piece of white paper or cloth to the front - will cut the light a bit but make it more diffuse.

When I use one for directed light in my photo cube or photography at the lathe, I put either a couple of layers of tissue paper on the front or attach a photo diffuser (made for strobe lights) to spread the light.

JKJ

Back