• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

On-lathe Sanding ?

Have never seen this mentioned, but when sanding on-lathe (power or manually), does anyone else cover the lathe bed (the ways) with cardboard, plastic, or whatever? Am doing this with new lathe to see if it helps prevent those tiny scratches that appear everywhere with no apparent cause. Am assuming that some particles of sanding abrasive fall on the bed, and if not removed will be swept back and forth and crossways by movements of the banjo and tailstock.

Website
www.workingwoods.com
I can understand the aesthetic aspect of not wanting to get little scratches on the ways, but will it really affect the functionality of the lathe? Similar to scratches in a tablesaw table, I figure the blemishes are just a sign I'm actually using the tool. ;)

Vaughn,

Best I can tell it has no effect whatever on functionality of the tool. Same with the saw table. Looks bad but functions as well as ever. Just prefer to maintain best condition, especially if only minimal effort is required.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
I've never bothered to cover ways for sanding abrasive dust....

Texian said:
Have never seen this mentioned, but when sanding on-lathe (power or manually), does anyone else cover the lathe bed (the ways) with cardboard, plastic, or whatever? Am doing this with new lathe to see if it helps prevent those tiny scratches that appear everywhere with no apparent cause. Am assuming that some particles of sanding abrasive fall on the bed, and if not removed will be swept back and forth and crossways by movements of the banjo and tailstock.

I routinely cover the ways with a piece of 1/4" plywood when I am on-lathe applying oil finishes, sanding sealers, friction polish finishes. etc. to prevent dripped or spilled finish from removing the Top Cote I apply as a metal sealer on the ways. While using really wet wood, in the past I have covered the ways with plastic garbage bags to reduce the amount of moisture the ways receive, and to keep water and sap from wicking under the banjo/toolrest and the sliding headstock of the Jet 1642. I have never concerned myself with sanding dust - with compressed air, I just blow away whatever is missed by the dust collector vacuum.

I often polish the ways with a fine rubberized abrasive, so there are 'normal' scratches in its surface anyway. The banjo and tailstock move very smoothly and effortlessly.

Rob

Rob Wallace said:
While using really wet wood, in the past I have covered the ways with plastic garbage bags to reduce the amount of moisture the ways receive, and to keep water and sap from wicking under the banjo/toolrest and the sliding headstock of the Jet 1642.

Got to be careful on that. I clevered up and used black trash bags over the bed once on a wing-edged piece. The air picked the corner up where it was unsecured by magnet and wrapped it tightly around the spindle with a noise, rip and flap that constituted a "Fruit of The Loom Moment."

Different aerodynamics on round pieces, but cardboard for me.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Dave Peebles said:
You guys have to sand? :D

Yep, some of us do! Heh,heh,heh!

Hey, great shop, Dave. Some really creative ideas on how you put it together.

What did you do?.....sneak into the local bowling alley with your chainsaw at 3am? Ha!

....otis of cologne

Never have worried about scratches as such. I do cover the ways if I am applying finish that won't wipe off easily. If I am applying wax I don't cover because wiping the wax around helps prevent the rust problem we have in the deep humid south. I usually wax the cast iron sufaces of all my tools once per week as a usual preventive practice anway.

The other time I cover it is when I am drilling out my k'scope bodies. No matter how dry I think the wood is it always shows steam from the heat generated by drilling holes that deep, and the sawdust from the hole will rust/stain the ways almost instantly. Never worried about sanding causing scratches though.

Richard, I cover the ways of the 2436 with an old bed sheet for finishing with sanding sealer or tung-oil based liquids. Also, covered when using the Beall buffing system. I have not covered them for initial sanding. I keep a compressed air hose handy to blow off the dust. I do have a 24" floor fan behind the lathe and an overhead JDS filtering system about 5 feet from the headstock end of the lathe. I always have those on when sanding and turning. Probably need to start using the dust collector, but it is so noisy, that my neighbors will shut me down. Just try it! :D Also wear an Airshield facemask to avoid breathing the fine dust. This seems to work for me. I don't think that you will be able to keep the scratches out. They seem to appear without anything being done at all it seems. My lathe does look like it is being utilized, however I do try to avoid careless habits.

Bill Pottorf

Bill, et. al.,
Thanks for your replies. Was just wondering if anyone else was concerned about sanding grit. I use a box fan w/ filter immediately behind the work when sanding. Does a good job of drawing the dust away from my breathing zone, but I think some abrasive rocks still fall on the ways. Don't have a compressed air line run to the lathe yet, but do have a small shop vac next to headstock end legs to remove chips from inside of work every few minutes. When applying finish also use plastic on the ways and a cardboard "partition wall" to shield the headstock and EVS electronics box. You may have seen the latter as background in picture of home made steady rest I posted some time last year.

Plan to continue experiment (protect the ways with cardboard when sanding), and maybe report any useful observations in about 8-10 months.

Website
www.bowlturner.com
odie said:
Yep, some of us do! Heh,heh,heh!

Hey, great shop, Dave. Some really creative ideas on how you put it together.

What did you do?.....sneak into the local bowling alley with your chainsaw at 3am? Ha!

....otis of cologne

Hey Odie,

Thanks, On the bowling alley bench. My Dad had a good friend who worked for Brunswick. He was able to get me a few pieces when they would tear out the old lanes. They do make a darn nice bench top. And dead flat too!!

Dave

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I position my DC hose as close to the turning as can be reasonably done and almost all of the sanding stuff gets sucked away. Of course, it would be going overboard to protect the ways of my "sow's ear" lathe from grit or lathe applied finishes.

Bill

Back