• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Nova DVR-XP, first impressions

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Some good, some, well, not so... let's start with the not so.

The tool rest hole in the Banjo was too small to take the shaft of any tool rest, including the one that shipped with the lathe. It took over an hour of work with a round file on the hole to get all the tool rests to fit. Interestingly the last one to fit was the provided tool rest. The really bad part is Technatool's QA sheet says this was inspected.

The tail stock is 1mm out of alignment with the headstock. Both down and back. The adjustment method for the tailstock is to loosen 4@5mm machine screws. One problem, the screws were so tight I twisted a 5mm Allen wrench trying. Obviously I have not gotten that done yet. One additional issue, from reading the instructions. They want the tail-stock "locked" when you tighten the screws. Small issue, the screws aren't accessible when you tighten the screws. Looks like you would have to suspend that part of the lathe to reach under, or maybe (???) remove the basic bed extension to reach the screws.

The basic lathe bed consists of one "mother" section, that the head stock mounts on, and one standard extension section. While the machined surface was clean and smooth, the cast transitions on each side didn't match. This is, fortunately, just cosmetic. But on something running $2K, I don't expect cosmetic issues.

Lastly, the manual is well written, but it is written by and for someone that knows the lathe well. It is not written for someone that doesn't know the nomenclature and location of every item. I say this as an Engineer, that has spent too many years writing and editing technical instructions and I recognize the issue, one I have to watch to keep from doing myself.

Now the good.
Very heavy, all required action is smooth and easy. The lathe operation is solid and easy. Speed control is excellent. Vibration is almost unnoticeable.

Bottom Line:
A good lathe, but one that could due with some tighter QA

TTFN Ralph

Except for the new OneRobubby! The perfect lathe for all jobs at all times!

Dietrich

P.S.(have an ancient round railed Nova DVR. Beaten and battered but works surprisingly well)

n7bsn said:
The basic lathe bed consists of one "mother" section, that the head stock mounts on, and one standard extension section. While the machined surface was clean and smooth, the cast transitions on each side didn't match. This is, fortunately, just cosmetic. But on something running $2K, I don't expect cosmetic issues.

You made super sure on bed alignment, right? They even gave a torquing sequence in my manual. I think I drawfiled a bit of burr out of the in-betweens on my 3000.

I thought they had gone to a non-adjustable tailstock after the spindly little stinker they had on the 3000. Now they're back to adjustable?

Wonder if, when they farmed out the castings for the new bed configuration, they farmed the banjo too. Wouldn't be the first time 25mm was reported as an inch, in my experience. All the 1" stuff from my Delta is snug, but workable in mine.

Back