• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Chad Eames for "Twisted Walnut Vessel"being selected as Turning of the Week for September 2, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Non-marring Tailstock Pressure

I have seen the tennis ball trick before, but can't remember where. Maybe Mike Waldt?

robo hippy
There was an old post using a tennis ball for a goblet support, but I haven’t seen using it in the cone to support a bowl or platter.

Last edited:
I’ve got the OneWay live centre and bought a rubber ball to use with it. It can come in handy at times. It was recommended by someone as giving better grip than a tennis ball but I wouldn’t know as I only have the rubber one.

I have an assortment of rubber balls for this method, just choose the one that seems to be an appropriate size for the task at hand.

Back