• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Nip

I just recieved my first two pieces of NIP, they were just cut shipped to me so they are real wet. I'm going to let them sit for a few weeks in plastic bags so they can spalt a little before I turn them. So that brings me to my question, after turning I want to soak them in an oil bath. Do I use just danish oil or do I add something to the danish oil so I get that translucent effect?

I just recieved my first two pieces of NIP, they were just cut shipped to me so they are real wet. I'm going to let them sit for a few weeks in plastic bags so they can spalt a little before I turn them. So that brings me to my question, after turning I want to soak them in an oil bath. Do I use just danish oil or do I add something to the danish oil so I get that translucent effect?

A 50/50 mixture of Boiled Linseed Oil and Mineral Spirits has worked for me. I then seal it with polyurethane. The translucent effect requires turning thin. Spalted areas will have much less (or maybe no) translucence, but it is the spalting that really gives NIP pieces their striking appearance. Don't let the sap get on anything you really care about. It's worse than epoxy to remove.

Ed

Back