• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Rabea Gebler for "Plum Blossom" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 24, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New Wen dust collector

I just ordered a Wen DC1300 dust collector. Have any of you made improvements to yours?
It comes with a 5-micron bag that I think I can replace with a 1-micron bag.

Speaking of filters, the replacement filters for my dust extractor are 24x12x1, a common size. Is there any reason to pay $25 for a single filter vs. a pack of filters for $10 a piece? If they are both 5 micron or less, does it matter?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Speaking of filters, the replacement filters for my dust extractor are 24x12x1, a common size. Is there any reason to pay $25 for a single filter vs. a pack of filters for $10 a piece? If they are both 5 micron or less, does it matter?

If the filter's purpose is to improve the quality of air that you breathe then I would go with a one-micron filter. The really harmful stuff is the particulate matter that you can't see ... one micron and smaller. After my open heart surgery several years ago, I only have one good lung. I can't afford to gamble with the air I breathe I try not to let the price of a filter influence my decision.

If the filter's purpose is to improve the quality of air that you breathe then I would go with a one-micron filter. The really harmful stuff is the particulate matter that you can't see ... one micron and smaller. After my open heart surgery several years ago, I only have one good lung. I can't afford to gamble with the air I breathe I try not to let the price of a filter influence my decision.

The filter that comes with my dust extractor is 5 micron. I'll look for 1 micron filters.

Back