• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New Turner-Question About Grinds

Well, I really don't know how long the 40/40 grind has been around. Chris Stott used it and so did Allen Batty. The 40 degree bevel matches the angle on a beaver's tooth, which may be how that grind came into being used on tools. Not sure how long beavers have been around....

If I was going to have a 'signature' tool, it would have to be the Big Ugly tool, which I did not invent, but use...

robo hippy

Well, I really don't know how long the 40/40 grind has been around. Chris Stott used it and so did Allen Batty. The 40 degree bevel matches the angle on a beaver's tooth, which may be how that grind came into being used on tools. Not sure how long beavers have been around....

If I was going to have a 'signature' tool, it would have to be the Big Ugly tool, which I did not invent, but use...

robo hippy

Never heard that beaver story before, it's a good one... did you make it up?

And the angle on the big ugly tool matches...?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I tried my best to look up the angle of a beaver's tooth and never could find it. Near as I could find there isn't a reference on it. I also question a statement that Stewart made at one of the Demo's I attended. He said anything less than 40 degrees would be self feeding. I often use my spindle gouge that is ground to 35 degrees on the outside of a bowl with no problems and of course use it on many of my spindles. I also have skews ground to 25 degrees. So If I ever see him again in person I'm going to ask what he meant by that statement.

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
I tried my best to look up the angle of a beaver's tooth and never could find it. Near as I could find there isn't a reference on it. I also question a statement that Stewart made at one of the Demo's I attended. He said anything less than 40 degrees would be self feeding. I often use my spindle gouge that is ground to 35 degrees on the outside of a bowl with no problems and of course use it on many of my spindles. I also have skews ground to 25 degrees. So If I ever see him again in person I'm going to ask what he meant by that statement.

I suspect it is partially hype for the 40/40 grind. Yes, there is a small pulling-in force when scraping above center on the inside of a vessel or below center on the outside of a vessel if the BOTTOM side of the scraper body is angled downward. This force usually is small compared to the downward force against the tool rest. I suppose it could be significant if one were scraping many degrees above (or below, as the case may be) center, but I have never encountered it when using conventional scrapers.

First time I heard the beaver tooth angle, it was Chris Stott who said it, and I believe he had a beaver tooth with him to show it, or some one I saw had the tooth with them. I seem to remember Stuart making that comment as well, but that may or may not be true. Have CRS syndrome....

I have no clue about the 35 degree bevel being self feeding. Before I figured out that the 40 degree setting on my platform was actually closer to 35, and the 45 degree setting was closer to 40, I didn't like the more acute bevel at the 40 degree setting, it just didn't cut right, but made a fine detail type gouge. The only time I have experienced 'self feeding' is when trying that peeling cut with a gouge on the inside of a bowl. If you come off the wing bevel, you dig in very deep. I always roll my flutes over to about 3 o'clock and cut with the nose. No chance of coming off the bevel and getting that 'self feeding' catch. No clue as to why the angle settings are off. It is a protractor, and of course, 'it worked on paper'...

I have never considered scrapers to be self feeding, no matter what angle the handle is when the cutting edge is presented to the wood. I would suspect that it has more to do with bad tool presentation. On the outside of the bowl, you want to be at or slightly below center. On the inside of the bowl, you want to be at or slightly above center. What this does is that when you have a catch, the tool falls out of the wood rather than digging in deeper. The biggest problem, as far as I am concerned with catches with scrapers in bowls is using too big of a scraper. The main area where this happens is in the transition on the inside of the bowl. If you sweep across the bottom of the bowl, and come into the transition area, if you don't pivot the tool, you can end up with the entire cutting area of the tool being in the wood at one time. Basically biting off more than you can chew. I talk about that in my video 'Scary Scrapers'. I never use a scraper wider than 1 inch. I can stall any lathe I have ever turned on with a 1 inch scraper, as well as with a swept back gouge if I engage the entire wing. I hear the comment about bigger scrapers being used for 'less vibration/more stability'. If you want less vibration and more stability, move the tool rest closer instead of trying to hang out way too far off of the tool rest.

robo hippy

I would be very interested to read what you think about the RB jig set. Please post when you have an impression to share.
TIA, Lars

I will do that. I've been cutting out bowl blanks the last couple of weeks and have a couple more to go. As soon as I have the all of the logs out of the backyard I can start turning again. I have to keep the Finance Department happy.

@Mike: Thanks. Curious to hear your verdict.
Just finished cleaning out in my wood shed in a similar, peace-keeping mission: Firewood (with meat) for my neighbour and better space for some of mylady's stuff.

I bought the Brown jig.

It's great, easy as any to use once set up. And, gives a beautiful, flawless, consistent 40d grind all over the gouge.

My limited trials of cutting (sudden warm sunny weather pulled me out of the shop) have been on hard kiln dried maple so far, and they were very clean and easy.

Back