• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New Piece

Website
www.beyondbark.com
With my son just turning one and my wife being pregnant, I have not had a lot of time to spend in the shop. Nevertheless, with the little time I have had here is what I came up with!

It is coffee wood and the middle band is walnut with maple veneer.
6" diameter X 4" tall. Finished with three coats of poly.

Comments and Critique welcome!

Attachments

• CoffeeWood.jpg
    CoffeeWood.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 4
  • CoffeeWood2.jpg
    CoffeeWood2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 5

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
That's an unusual design, cypher..... I enjoy seeing works that are outside of the ordinary....yours is!

I took a few minutes and looked over your web page. I see you are only 27yrs old! You've got a great start on a great hobby, and have enough time left to take this a looooong ways!

I'm not doing much laminating or segmented bowls right now, but I did do quite a few of them at one time. Of course there is always a difference of opinion on these things, but I've always thought high contrast woods (light to dark) somehow didn't hold artistic interest as well as laminating woods that are very close in color (either same species, hues, or close on a dark to light scale). Also, the KISS principle works with turning......not that your piece doesn't apply that principle!

Anyway, I think you are doing very well, and will have a lot to show for your efforts if you keep it up!

....odie

I'm a newbie so take this for what its worth. I love the coffee wood and the figure and the finish is fantastic. I may be full of it but I can't help thinking it would have been better without the contrasting band. Was it two coffee wood blanks to start or was it one solid piece that you split?

It's a very nice piece

Turning One What?

Cy,
After the first half of your first sentence, I was wondering if your son was turning a bowl, platter, hollow form, or what. Took a few milliseconds to learn that he's turning "one year of age". Too young to be turning. Maybe next year.

Meanwhile, that's a very pretty piece. The coffee wood (?) is amazing. The contrasting center section draws attention away from the idea that it may or may not have been crafted as a monolithic hollow form, and does so in a very interesting way.

As Odie said, you're fortunate to be turning so well at such a young age, and have time to develop your skills and produce a significant body of excellent work. I'm so envious I could just spit.

Best of luck to you and your sweetie!

Website
www.beyondbark.com
Doug M Jones said:
I'm a newbie so take this for what its worth. I love the coffee wood and the figure and the finish is fantastic. I may be full of it but I can't help thinking it would have been better without the contrasting band. Was it two coffee wood blanks to start or was it one solid piece that you split?

It's a very nice piece

Newbie or not any advice is welcome. To keep consistent grain this was one blank cut in half. I liked the contrast of the center band and it served as a way for me to hollow the piece without having to hollow it like a true hollow form. by shaping it, cutting it in half and the hollowing each half before re-assembling with band between them I avoided having to use a hollow jig/tool. Munch easier and I have not yet invested the money into a hollowing set up. I consider it hollow form the easy way!!!

Odie -
Thanks for the incouraging words. I only hope my skills continue to improve. I have actually used a few ideas from your galley in my own shop. ie. lathe table, sandpaper cutter, etc...

Texian -
I keep trying to get him out there! not quite ready yet! but i did find out the one on the way is a boy also, so the turning community will have two turners from my family when the time comes!

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. That makes a lot of sense to me now. As a new turner, I didn't know the lathe was the cheap part when I bought my Jet Mini. I have so many items on my wish list at woodcraft that it should keep my family going for years of birthdays, Christmas and Fathers day.

You have demonstrated a unique solution to get a hollow form without the dedicated tools. Very interesting concept.

I really like the piece and can appreciate the center band much better now.

Thanks again,
Doug

Back