• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New motor for bandsaw

I recently purchased a used Delta 28-203F bandsaw, with enclosed base and riser block. I think it may have a 3/4 hp motor, but am unsure. (I can't check now, because of recent shoulder surgery.) I would like to replace the motor with a 1 1/2 hp one. Looking for suggestions. Thanks

Biggest issue would be making sure the mounting bolt holes line up, of if you could 'adjust' the mount by drilling other holes. Many sources for electric motors, just google them... A local tool repair place might have one... For a 1 1/2 hp motor, I would use 220 volt wiring. Most can be rewired.

robo hippy

I put a 1-1/2 HP motor in one. Also increased the blade speed 25% and added a riser block. I should have put the money towards a bigger bandsaw. I did buy a 20" Delta a few years later and actually have two 20" Delta's now.

The OEM 3/4 HP motor is perfect for that 14" saw.

I replaced the 1 hp motor on a former Delta 14” Taiwanese clone with a Baldor 1 hp motor. Even though it had the same hp rating, it was very noticeable in more power and torque. Motion Industries sells the Baldor brand. I got a super great deal on that motor, and sold the saw to a neighbor who wanted it, and got a new Grizzly G0555LX saw with riser block. I’ve really been VERY happy with that Grizzly saw, and cut a lot of wood blanks to it’s 12” resaw height capacity. The Motion industries catalog has all the frame size listings etc.....worth a look! You want a TEFC motor.

When replacing motors it's fairly simple. Check the frame size on the existing motor and replace it with one of the same frame size. 56 is a common frame size used in smaller saws.

Back in the day when Delta machinery was sold without motors it seems like the motor mounting bolt patterns were a little more forgiving allowing more frame sizes to be mounted. Not so any more though.

Way back I built a power feeder for a 14" Delta bandsaw to cut 1/8" strips. The original 1/2 hp motor wouldn't handle the feed speed needed for efficient production so I put a 2 hp on it.

BTW, I hate the closed stands Delta put on their later model saws, they acted as an amplifier of any noise from vibrations and made servicing the motor difficult..

As long as you can get it to fit and line up the belt, that's pretty much all there is to it. At one point I needed to cut through some large steel metal parts (solid 2" square trailer axles), which requires a very low speed to prevent blade overheating. I pulled the speed-controlled DC motor off my Sherline mini-lathe, made a custom pulley for it and used that for a couple days with the motor held to the saw base with a couple of bar clamps.

Worked like a charm.

Back