• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

new mixing bowl

Just finished this bowl yesterday. Black Cherry mixing bowl 9x5 1/4" thick,finished with blo and bees wax. As you can see already taking on its own shape.

Attachments

• catalog2 090.jpg
    catalog2 090.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 384
Neat bowl, the cherry I turned did the same thing .... then split .... for the burn pile :mad: . Good luck with the fruit wood . :D

Bowl

If I have a bowl split, I bandsaw it in half and glue the halves to wall plaques, and sell them as sconces. Just a little way to make a buck instead of burning....... :cool2: :cool2:

Website
www.abhats.com
Might last just fine . .

I noticed you have the pith at the rim, although there's also a lot of sapwood. I've made quite a few bowls with the pith at the top (opposite of what 'convention' says you're supposed to do) and never had any of them split at the rim - but they do deform just as yours has. I've also worked with cherry and know that the sapwood is much softer than the heartwood. I made one with sapwood panels on the side smaller than yours to get the color contrast, but it wasn't intended to be a mixing or salad bowl. There's also the issue with cherry that you seem to have avoided - you can't press your gouge heavily as you'll crush the pore ends in the wood. Won't see the results until you try putting on a finish, and then there'll be streaks.

Walt

Back