• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New life to old wood

Website
www.regenbogenwoodturning.com
Hey, A friend gave me a chunk of an old dogwood to turn since the tree had sentimental value to his wife. I think the wood had been cut about 3 years ago, and it is really dry. I've turned dogwood before, but when it was green, and had good luck with the bowls that came from that log. Does anyone know if you can bring some moisture back to a chunk of wood so that turning it will be less of a fight? Like can it be soaked in something to soften it, without the wood blowing to pieces? In other words, can I treat some old dog with some new tricks? Sorry, but you saw that coming. But seriously, can a chunk be reconstituted in any way?

Once she's dry, she's dry Scott. I'd just recommend very light cuts and taking your time. Higher speeds when cutting also help a bit with keeping the cuts really light. Sharpen often and, if you're getting tear out, lube the spots up with paste wax before final cut.

And well dried and stable dogwood is quite a find so enjoy!

Dietrich

Less a bit of "fiber set," storing in high humidity can bring back the same problems and the same joys that turning green wood presents.

Try something like glycerine (LDD) which will soften the surface a bit while not evaporating as rapidly as water if that dogwood is still biting you. I'd use the topical versus the full-time soak. Paint it on, let it soak, turn, repeat as required. Let cure some extra time afterward before finishing.

Website
www.regenbogenwoodturning.com
new life / old dogwood

Well I finished this piece and have posted a shot of it. Overall the suggestion to take light cuts, use a high speed and sharpen often proved the right way to go in this case. Thanks for the input and I'd welcome any feedback. I wasn't as crazy about this piece as I was the other dogwood pieces that I've done due to the size and shape of the blank I had to work with, but it was free wood, and free is me. Wee.:cool2:

pictures

ok, this is computer illiterate Gretch here. This is the second time (scotts) where a poster says I have posted a picture, and none is there. How do I go about finding it?? Gretch

pictures

usually your file size is too large, you can check by going to my computer then to the file you want to upload, hit view , then details, look out at the right of the file name and it will tell you how large your file is, if your picture is jpg file it has to be less than 97.7 if it is not go to your picture software, bring up your picture, hit format, then under format hit resize picture, you want to change the inches to around 5 x 4 leave the pixels alone, then resave the picture under the same name or another name your choice:D

the directions on uploading a picture are in the help part, i think under manage attachments which is below where the text is, that is where you do it

opps i think Ed understood what you were asking

Last edited:
Back