• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Negative rake scraper angle for box making

I took one of Eric Lofstrom’s workshops last year, and scraper sharpening and raising a burr was a topic. He recommended (and handed out to us!) 1/8” Dremel tungsten carbide spiral bits turned upside down. The twist part just gets screwed into the top of your handle.

IIRC, Eric said that he liked the smaller diameter burnishing rod as he felt that made it easier to raise a good burr.

IMG_0976.jpeg

I made a 10° tapered pin from some O1 tool steel for a guy at my club to try using as a Burnisher but he’s not reported back. I may have to make another to try myself. After turning and polishing the pin I hardened it but didn’t temper it, I left it “glass hard”. As such the Rockwell hardness should be slightly higher than HSS? The pin is 10mm diameter at the base.
I have the Ron Hock burnisher but is for card scrapers I’ll have to search if it’s carbide but it’s 3/8 thick
But now I’m using an End Mill that broke and it’s 1/8" thick the shaft and both are straight.

I took one of Eric Lofstrom’s workshops last year, and scraper sharpening and raising a burr was a topic. He recommended (and handed out to us!) 1/8” Dremel tungsten carbide spiral bits turned upside down. The twist part just gets screwed into the top of your handle.

IIRC, Eric said that he liked the smaller diameter burnishing rod as he felt that made it easier to raise a good burr.

View attachment 66850
Thanks, mine is very similar but from end mill also carbide 1/16 the bit and the shank is 1/8 so I’ll also turned upside down but with ca glue.

Thanks, mine is very similar but from end mill also carbide 1/16 the bit and the shank is 1/8 so I’ll also turned upside down but with ca glue.
You maybe are right about that but carbide mills or router bits usually have a polished shank verses the slightly rough surface on a carbide blank.
About 15 years ago I bought some scrap "up cut / down cut" CNC router bits that had been sharpened beyond their useful range for about $20.00 per pound. I have been using them ever since and they do not show any surface scratches.
View attachment 66831
The tool to the right of the burnisher is the only one with a negative rake grind and the only one that would be commonly used flat on the tool rest. The second and third from left work well in end grain vessels doing a shearing cut on rounded inside bottoms by rotating the tool off the flat but never flat. The use of the burr is dependant on the way you present the burr/cutting edge to the work. I recently made a video with my Iphone but I have not figured out how to make one of those recurring videos that are often seen on this forum.
Great tool collection! For every specific task the perfect tool.
Greetings

Hello everyone,

I want to express my gratitude to all of you for your support and guidance as I continue learning, this time about scraper angles and carbide burnishers. I’m also really pleased with all the interaction and knowledge-sharing happening here.

Thanks again! As a final note, here are some pictures of my new tools—the scraper and burnisher. Now, I’m ready to dive into designing my boxes.

Happy turning!

Attachments

• IMG_3450.jpeg
    IMG_3450.jpeg
    598.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3449.jpeg
    IMG_3449.jpeg
    537.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3448.jpeg
    IMG_3448.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3447.jpeg