• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

need tree identification help

there are two massive trees down the street from my house.. at least 4-5 ft across.. have heavy bark like a shagbark hickory and look like you could climb up the tree by holding the bark.. but from what i could tell of the leaves they look like silver maple lobed with spikes.. but seem thinner lobes than silver maple ..
any clue what the tree could be.. i looked in my audubon guide.. no dead on match..

i probably can get a good picture of the bark, but the leaves are up too high to get a clear shot..

just curious as there is a good sized burl hanging from a branch..

later
pete

Last edited:
The heck with the pictures of the leaves and bark. I want to see pictures of the burl.
Hugh

Hey, Pete.

Seeing as we're close by, you're looking at a maple of some variety. It could be shag-bark, red, sugar, or rock (some of which are probably different names for the same thing). Probably not Norway or box elder. My guess is sugar, mostly because of it's age.

Hope this helps,
Dietrich

Back