• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need optimum screws for faceplate attachment

Guys,
Some may remember a picture of a 1000-lb mesquite burl I plan to turn. The lathe will be modified in the coming week - I will start with a spur-drive and, after finding optimum axis, will go to a faceplate. I plan to use Oneway's 8" and I will use all holes.
During the initial outside shaping (hopefully a globe) I'll continue with the tail-stock / live-center. I'm hoping to come up with a way to use my steady-rest by attaching a run-way for the wheels near the opening - that may or may not work.
But with the steady-rest or hanging it all out by the faceplate, I need quality screws. I currently use SS 1.25" #14 oval heads in Oneway's 6" faceplate to secure logs up to 400-lbs - the mesquites are always end-grain as is the case here - never had a problem. I plan to drill out the outside holes on the 8" faceplate for .25" screws.

SO THE QUESTION: Does anyone know of sharper, deeper thread screws than the stuff at the Home Depot's?
My hope is there is someone out there making better screws. Something akin to the screw in a screw-chuck.

Ps. Calling me an idiot will only confirm you have a grasp for the obvious - your dear moderator has already made that point.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Dwight makes a good suggestion.

Also, if you are near a fast at all or Granger, they both have a wife variety. I just looked at Grangers site, and they have stainless steel and other varieties in diameter is up to a 5/16 or better, at several different lengths.

Also, I just did a little quick search on the web and this came back from Lee Valley.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/shopping/TechInfo.aspx?p=42103

It is called a Spax screw. Don't know if thing about it, but when I googled superstrong wood screws this was the first hit.

Good luck, be safe, and be sure to show us the results!

Last edited:
I have always used the square drive screws from craft supplies.....I bought one box of 100....I reuse them and still have a full box
#104-639 1"
#104-638 1 1/4"

I think mine are 1"

I agree that the quality of fasteners from big box stores, and one local home center, have declined over the last decade or two. Whoever makes the square drive screws seems to do a pretty good job.

You just need to know what you are buying when shopping at the BORG. Besides GRK they carry Spax (mentioned above) and Tapcon, the blue concrete screws I have been using. For something as gigantic as the OP is posting about the GRKs should come closest. I don't know the the BORG will have the size needed for this.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Our local Westlake Hardware has a huge selection of open stock screws of all kinds and I found some 5/16" deep thread FH #3 Phillips SS screws of various lengths that I really like. I think that you ought to consider using screws that are a bit longer than 1¼". I tried the non-SS ones in wet mesquite and it didn't take too long for them to start rusting. When I lived in Dallas forty something years ago, Elliot's Hardware was the place to go to get every imaginable kind of hardware ... it was a "real" hardware store. Are they still around?

The Spax screws that Mark mentioned are also good. They are similar to what I use except that the Spax screws have a coarser pitch and serrations on the leading threads to cut their way into the wood. The shank diameter on the Spax screws appears to be slightly smaller. They aren't SS, but they do have some sort of of anti-corrosion coating. All the Spax screws I've seen are very long, but maybe it's just what our local store stocks.

Let me know how you like the 8" Oneway faceplate ... I've been thinking about getting it for a very large diameter hunk of mesquite that I have in the garage right now.

I'm sure you've searched for "deep thread" screws, so I searched for "cut thread" screws and came up with cutthreadwoodscrews.com
If you don't like what they have, they will custom make screws to your specifications. I'd love to listen in on that conversation...
Hope you take pics...
c

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I'm sure you've searched for "deep thread" screws, so I searched for "cut thread" screws and came up with cutthreadwoodscrews.com
If you don't like what they have, they will custom make screws to your specifications. I'd love to listen in on that conversation...
Hope you take pics...
c

Is Narragansett Screw Company the one that you are talking about?

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
As Douglas Ladendorf mentioned, the blue Tapcon concrete screws (hardened but not brittle) have deep threads and hold quite well. Ace Hardware carries them in their bulk section so I don’t have to buy a whole box.

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
My favorite are Fastenmaster Headlok screws because they're stronger than a 3/8" lag but only 3/16" X 3" and can be driven with an impact driver:

ledger locks.jpg

At 3" long they are crazy strong, way stronger that SS. Ceramic coating, so they drive easily, won't rust in greenwood, and are reusable. I predrill. The heaviest blank I've turned is somewhere around 150 pounds.

Best part: $20 bucks for 50 count at my local hardware store.

http://www.fastenmaster.com/products/headlok-heavy-duty-flathead-fastener.html

Back