• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

need link to thread box mechanisms

:) I would like to do more followup on the lidded boxes. Want links to the manufacturers-Klein and &??. Thanks,I'm not to well versed on the searches. Paul W

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
www.bestwoodtools.com has the Baxter threading doohickey. I know a Bill Sullivan has demoed this unit many times and would probably be glad to answer questions on it.

I thought that Fred Holder had a book out about hand chased threads, but I am not real sure.

Website
www.burntchimneystudios.com
Paul,

Bonnie Klein has produced threading jigs for many years. Here is her URL for the jig:

Klein Jig

Bonnie's jig is excellent. And so are the jigs from Best Wood Tools that Steve mentioned. You have many more choices when considering the BWT jigs, lathe and threading tpi must be designated. I purchased the 16 tpi for the Jet Mini lathe recently because I plan on making a variety of boxes. While 16 tpi is the most popular choice, which I believe is what comes with Bonnie's jig, I am wondering if a coarser thread, such as 12 tpi, might not be more to my liking. Since I have the BWT jig I can purchase a different threading head with a different pitch or tpi and easily make the change

Although you won't find much mention of this, the "numbers" that work for 16 tpi are not the same when dealing with 12 tpi or 20 tpi because the depth of the threads will be different if you use the same cutter. In other words, the overlap is bigger for 12 tpi than for 16 tpi.

I have the best wood tools chaser

I just received my Threader from Best Wood Tools with 16TPI . it fits well on my Jet 1642 (16" swing). I like it alot. very well designed. heavy pricetag ($548.00) but hey you only get into debt once right? Hmmmmm

Threading device

:) Thanks Steve,Ed and Kenny and also those who thought about answers. I guess its about out of the question for me presently. I think I have it figured out,not that I have the skill level to achieve good results. Any who,I'm, going to the links suggested to see if they sell vhs tapes or will send me the instructions for a nominal fee. Thanks again for help. (I will probably buy a Jet mini in the future ) :) :)

Website
www.burntchimneystudios.com
Good luck

Paul,

Good luck to you as you deal with the choices. I got Bonnie Klein's tape a while back and found it to be useful. From your point of view it might be extremely valuable. It shows a homemade threading jig that you could probably duplicate at considerable savings. I have not seen Bonnie's instructions with her threading jig, so I won't comment on their value. The instructions with BWT's jig I believe are Willard Baxter's notes on turning an acorn box.

I have not yet found a satisfactory source for numbers you need to make the transition from the threads inside the lid to the threads outside the bottom. Some say add a certain number and that number does not compute for me. After a few more trial and error sessions I may identify them and share them with the forum.

Back